Saturday, August 9, 2008

Smooth N' Shine Curl Activating Gel for Extra Dry Hair-Review


Curl Activating Gel? That's the stuff used for Jeri Curls, right? At least that's what I thought. So I did some research before I bought the product just to see what people used curl activating gel for. I got an abundance of answers, the most obvious being to activate curls, DUH. But some people also use it for twists and good old moisture.

So I took the plunge and bought some. As soon as I got home I opened the jar and sniffed. Blah. It smelled gross. Like some sort of lemon cleaning product. For the Hair. Need I say more?As for price, it was pretty cheap at about three dollars. And it lasts for about a month using it everyday.

So, how did it work? As far as activating....the results were....well..it was hard for me to figure out how to used the stuff...I mean..I used it on wet hair and all I would end up with was a greasy, wet, shrunken, sticky mess with frizz and no defined curls anywhere. I tried it damp and ended up with the same results. Finally, I tried it on dry hair and it worked a little bit better with some alright curls. If I used a WHOLE lot then I ended up with stretched out curls that looked cute but touching is a whole other issue. After touching my hair my hands felt coated and when you rub them together you get those little rolley polley effect (kinda like glue). But I must say this works reall well in my kitchen area. This has to be the best kitchen moisturizing product ever. PERIOD.

But I have to admit, although it wasn't great at activating curls,it moisturized my hair really well. And when I woke up the next day it wasn't all stuck to my head. I could just fluff and apply more and go. But then again I hated the way my hair felt.....icky. I wouldn't let anyone touch my hair with this in it.

As far as ingredients go.....The are some good ingredients in this. Glycerin, aloe extract, wheat protein, and panthenol (which is basically just Vitamin B5). Other ingredients are not so great and have been linked to cancer, organ toxicity, and neurotoxicity but luckily they are more towards the end of the ingredient list.

So the last question is would I buy this product again? Nope, firstly because I'm such a PJ and lastly because it does have bad ingredients in it. But like I said, it is one hell of a kitchen moisturizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment