Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Carol's Daughter Hair Milk

So I recently jumped on the Carol's Daughter bandwagon and purchased Carol's Daughter's Hair Milk which was named best of Sephora. At 12 bucks for 4 ounces this stuff does not come cheap. That's three dollars an ounce.

It's Claim:

This light, fast-absorbing lotion for the hair is made with essential oil of lemongrass to stimulate natural oil production. Vitamins C and E provide an antioxidant boost while a hint of lily of the valley fragrance perfumes hair beautifully. Hair Milk is ideal for defining natural curls and giving hair loads of shine and bounce. May be used as a daily moisturizer to keep hair healthy and conditioned.


So let me start off by talking about the scent. It's one of those you love it or you hate it. It has a very strong lemongrass scent. Some people may think it smells like a strong lemon scented cleaning product. But I think the scent is pretty much an accurate lemongrass scent. I KINDA liked the scent but one time it did give me a headache. The texture isn't the thickest. In fact it's kinda runny.

Now the first time I used this I was WOWED by the moisture. But that was a one time thing. After that all it did for me was dry my hair out. But my hair LOOKED moisturized. I must admit this did add a decent amount of shine. And it works OK at defining curls. Nothing I can't get from other curl definers or even just regular Shea Butter.

Needless to say I was pretty disappointed. Especially with the ingredients.

Water, Soy Bean Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Vegetable Emulsifying Wax, Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Apricot Kernel Oil, Beeswax, Essential Oil Or Lemongrass, Fragrance, Jojoba Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Vitamin C, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Bicarbonate, Phenoxyethanol, Tetradibutyl Pentaerithrityl, Hydroxyhydrocinnamate.

The main ingredient is soybean oil. Carol's daughter is charging me three dollars an ounce for Soybean oil. On top of that, despite advertising it's line as natural the ingredients are not all natural. Yes the hair milk is paraben free but it contains Phenoxethanol which is just as armful as a paraben. II see nothing in this product that can warrant 12 bucks a bottle. Plus it's not like it's the most concentrated.

I was not impressed with the hair milk and will not be purchasing again. Hopefully the other Carol's Daughter products work better for me.

4 comments:

  1. love your review. i have an on-off again thing with the hair milk. currently i'm not using it.

    it does sit my hair down when i need it to but i don't think i will be purchasing it again either.

    thanks for the comparison to shea butter - i will consider that in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!!
    And I've been testing shea butter out...it's not that bad...it just took me awhile to figure out how to use it lol....

    ReplyDelete
  3. to be frank, i find carol's daughter's hair products to be extremely overrated. the body products on the other hand are great, but a bit overpriced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats what im finding too...i haven't tried the body products but they are on my list...i wish they weren't so pricy though...

    ReplyDelete