Friday, February 12, 2010

Don't You Hate It When....

This doesn't happen to me as much now but when I had a relaxer I would always get women telling me what products to use in my hair. Now I won't claim to be a know it all when it comes to hair, BUT my hair was long, thick and healthy. The girls giving me advice had chewed up, dry brittle hair.

I would usually just smile and act as though I were gonna take their advice when what I was actually doing was putting their recommendations on a list of products NOT to try.

It doesn't happen to me now that I'm natural. Well, at least not as often. But last week someone did try to recommend a hair product to me. And she wasn't even natural. I love product reccomendations, but it's all in how you reccomend them. This girls hair was "jacked up". And I'm putting it nicely. As she recommended certain products to me I had to fight the urge to burst out laughing in her face.

Maybe I'm being mean. Has this ever happened to you? What do you do?

2 comments:

  1. First Yes you were being mean! Make me sick *sucking my teeth* LOL No seriously. I can take recommendations from a person that chemically treat hair. Hell my bff is a beautician. I rarely ask her hair related question because a lot of what I learned I did it on my own...and I kind of like it that way. Everything she's told me was great info but I like the feeling of searching and trying something new on a whim. I accidentally became natural. ACCIDENTALLY. This is my trip and I'm taking complete control of it. The day I let someone change my mood about me (hair, style, etc.) THEY also have some control.
    Sure, I get some women that tries to give advise when her hair looks like who-did-it-and-ran. I listen but die on the inside...then my sarcasm kicks in. I start to ask them what they put in there hair. You know, "Oh girl, what do YOU use? My hair is going to look like yours?" My sarcasm and laughter trumps the "don't you hate it when."

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL....
    I Love that idea...I'm about to use it. Now I can't wait for someone with busted hair to recommend something to me. I don't think I could keep a straight face though.
    I'm glad you went natural though. I like your hair :D

    ReplyDelete