Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Baking Soda Mask


I haven't done a face mask in three long months. All because I left The Body Shop Blue Corn Mask at home and have been too cheap to buy another one. So I figured I would just wait till I got home. BUT I was looking up uses for baking soda because I have a box and I don't like wasting anything and I found out that you can add it to the laundry to boost cleansing and deodorizing properties. But anyway, that's not my "exciting use"

I found out you can use it as a mask.And it costs mere pennies.

It acts as an exfoliant, it cleans and softens, and it deodorizes so your face can be extra fresh. And I love that I know exactly what's in it.

So basically what you do is add a little warm water to baking soda. There are places with exact measurements but I just eyeball it. Now I've heard about some people adding orange juice or honey or something like that but being a student living in a dorm getting those things is more trouble than it's worth. One day I'll try is with those things. Make sure you apply it to a CLEAN face. Leave it on for 10-20 minutes then wash off. Put on some moisturizer.

So what were the results? I like. It works the same as other masks I've tried at a fraction of the cost. It doesn't have any fancy scent but I imagine that adding an essential oil could jazz it up a bit.

When you first smear it in, it's pretty clear but it turns more white as it hardens. One of my problems was the baking soda flaked off as it hardened. You could easily put a towel around your shoulders though so thats nothing major. Also be careful when your washing it off NOT to rub it in, it becomes too abrasive I think.

But other than that two thumbs up, and you should definitely give it a try.


Think I might try it as a deodorant next...