Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Zucchini Spice Cake

Baking is therapeutic for me. I LOVE to bake. Some people might find adding zucchini to things like cakes kind of weird but it really does taste pretty good. This particular one is almost like a carrot cake.

I was a little scared at first to add the cloves in it, because I had used them before and didn't like the taste at all. It actually tastes pretty good in this so I just might have to change my mind.

It was pretty easy to whip up and it tasted pretty great. You can frost it but in my opinion it really doesn'
t need frosting.  I suggest giving it a try.

I got the recipe from allrecipes. com  

"I created this recipe to use up a bumper crop of zucchini and to get my kids to eat more fruits and veggies without them knowing it. It is a dense cake reminiscent of carrot cake. I frequently add in an extra cup of stir-ins. Raisins, 
flake coconut, and walnuts or pecans are favorites."

Ingredients


3 cups grated unpeeled zucchini
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract




  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9x13 inch pan.
  2. Place grated zucchini in a colander and set aside to drain.
  3. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl until well blended. Beat the eggs, applesauce, oil, and vanilla in a separate bowl until smooth. Fold in the flour mixture, then stir in the zucchini. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
  4. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Allow to cool completely before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment