Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Walking and Talking MAC

This isn't really a post about MAC products. Just a post about expenisve makeup in general. And the people that buy it. I watch alot of youtube video's about makeup and some people show their collections of makeup. I saw this one woman that I swear had at LEAST two thousand dollars worth of makeup. It was CRAZY. The crazy thing is there is no way that she could possible use it all up in her lifetime. Another crazy thing was that she seemed to only buy the higher end stuff. I mean, I guess there's nothing wrong with that and you gotta do what makes you happy. I don't know.

I kind of look at people that will only buy higher end makeup as snobs. My mom is a makeup snob. It's kinda funny though because she doesn't know that much about makeup.  She also doesn't wear it much. Mostly lipstick and that's it. But sometimes when I break out she attributes my breakouts to me wearing "cheap" makeup. But half the time the more expensive stuff is no better quality than what you would get in drugstore makeup. I definitely have compared ingredients too. Most times all you pay for is the name. I think it's kind of ridiculous. Now I'm not saying I won't ever use anything higher end.

I once got my face done by these ladies that work for Bovanti (expensive makeup) and I then took it off and used my drugstore makeup and decided that I looked better with the "cheap" stuff on my face. I don't know, but that's my little rant for today.  Maybe I'm just a cheapskate.

4 comments:

  1. Now Roxy! Please, girl. Makeup is makeup. I'm a MAC lover, UD lovers, 2 Faced lover, Nars lover, but also have an appreciation of drugstore makeup. Some people stick to one brand no matter what. It's like food. In my house, out condiments are ONLY Heinz and Hellman's. Oh I'll most certainly turn my nose up at Hunts in a minute...or even look the other way. The moral of the story is everyone has a preference. Some people ARE really ignorant about certain things. They believe MAC is their one and only and can never fail but truth be told some of their products really do suck...just some though ;2P. A lot of people just trust/ comfortable with only one brand. Then you have others they buy certain brands just to have the feeling that they belong to a certain group. Of course there are people that like to stick with one thing or other that like a variety of colors that a lot of drug store brands can offer.
    Two comparable brands:
    Hip e/s $9.99
    MAC e/s $14.00 (MAC e/s $11.00 for just a pan or complete at CCO)
    You have an advantage of going cheaper or getting a wide verity of colors. It's hard for anyone to finish a pan of e/s no matter what you have. If I love it for a few looks or I use it everyday, I'm glad I made a good choice...for me. Some people buy just to buy or in need of retail therapy (Lord how I know too much about that.) Anyway, drifting off subject. Another less costly alternative to "high end" makeup is Coastal Scents. I have their 88 matte and 88 shimmer palettes http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm/product/1677_122/88-piece-makeup-palette.cfm $19 + shipping or you can find similar or larger palettes on eBay/ online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Right...
    I kinda wish I had money like that though.But then I'de probably buy a house LOL.
    I've been hearing alot about the coastal scents palette...I think I'de be overwhelmed with the color choices and not use it SMH. I get intimidated with alot of colors easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED my CS when I first got it. I was eyeing their 88 Warm Palette or the 28 Piece Eye Shadow Neutral Palette? The colors can be overwhelming but you know what...you have a lot of fun and practice with blending and creating looks.
    You'll get there, girl. You don't necessarily NEED those brands anyway. You can admire them from a far and do what you can and when you can. Besides *looking over my shoulder* some people DO use bootleg MAC. Yeah they are that desperate for the name.
    BTW, you wanna know what I've been eyeing from afar but too cheap to buy...makeup forever flash palette.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...Bootleg MAC???
    WHATTTT??I haven't heard of that.LOL Where can i get some?
    I've seen that makeup forever..I want to try their foundation but at forty dollars a pop, I can wait. How is the pigmentation in the coastal scents?

    ReplyDelete