Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Princess and The Frog: Red Beans and Rice Recipe



I'm slowly cooking my way through the Princess and the Frog cookbook. And it's been just as much fun as I thought it would be. I've made all kinds of things I've never made before: muffuletta sandwich, gumbo, jambalaya, and beignets. And now today..Red Beans and Rice.  According to the cookbook it's a popular Monday special at New Orleans restaurants. One day, I'm going to make my way there and try it for myself. In the meantime, I have this recipe.

I eat a lot of beans and rice. Nothing fancy. Just beans and rice...literally. A lot of times pinto beans, last time I cooked up some chili beans. Sometimes I make kidney beans. This time I took my rice and beans up a level.


All I did was heat the oil and add the chopped onion, celery, bell pepper ( I used a purple one!), scallions, and dried parsley to the pan. Sautéed until the were cooked down to my liking. The book says 4-5 minutes.

Then I just added the beans ( I actually used canned beans, didn't have enough time to cook them from scratch like usual), canned tomatoes, turkey sausage (preservative free!), Worcestershire, and cayenne. I left out the bacon because my parents were going to be flying in and they don't eat pork. Plus I just used pork in the last recipe and don't like to eat it more than 5x a year. 



After everything I just covered it and let it simmer about 30 minutes. Maybe longer.

Threw it over some brown rice. And dinner was served. 

It was different than I expected because with all the liquid from the beans and tomatoes made it much juicier than I thought. I'm used to a more dry beans and rice sort of thing. But I liked it.

It did have more kick than one would expect for a children's recipe. But I like a little spice!

Overall, there are probably better recipe out there, but I like this one and I would make it again. It was easy...and pretty quick! I found a blog that posted the recipe-with a couple changes-check it out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment