Sunday, June 14, 2009

Shea Butter Mixing Gone Wrong

I thought I would try to make my container of Shea Butter smell a little bit better since I was gonna be using it all over my body. I did a little internet search and I thought vanilla extract would be great since I love the scent of vanilla. But things didn't go as well as I thought....
First I placed the Shea in a Microwave safe container and melted it in the mocrowave.


Next I began adding the vanilla extract, only my Shea Butter refused to smell like the vanilla so somehow I ended up using the ENTIRE one ounce container......


I mixed until it was all uniform...

And let it harden.Only it hardened way too much...


So the next day I microwaved again and added Safflower Oil. But I microwaved it too high because the mixture bacame gritty. The texture was like a mild scrub instead of a thick body cream.


But I don't waste anything so I just rubbed it more to melt the grit when I wanted to use it as lotion. My skin loved it even though it took awhile to absorb and before it does it is greasy. And I found it to be an excellent face or body scrub. The scent didn't come out as expected. It smells like a really raw cookie dough. Not bad but not the yummiest smelling.