Sunday, June 14, 2009

Shea Butter Mixing Gone Wrong

I thought I would try to make my container of Shea Butter smell a little bit better since I was gonna be using it all over my body. I did a little internet search and I thought vanilla extract would be great since I love the scent of vanilla. But things didn't go as well as I thought....
First I placed the Shea in a Microwave safe container and melted it in the mocrowave.


Next I began adding the vanilla extract, only my Shea Butter refused to smell like the vanilla so somehow I ended up using the ENTIRE one ounce container......


I mixed until it was all uniform...

And let it harden.Only it hardened way too much...


So the next day I microwaved again and added Safflower Oil. But I microwaved it too high because the mixture bacame gritty. The texture was like a mild scrub instead of a thick body cream.


But I don't waste anything so I just rubbed it more to melt the grit when I wanted to use it as lotion. My skin loved it even though it took awhile to absorb and before it does it is greasy. And I found it to be an excellent face or body scrub. The scent didn't come out as expected. It smells like a really raw cookie dough. Not bad but not the yummiest smelling.

3 comments:

  1. The shea butter became gritty because it was heated to quickly and probably too hot. Then it was more than likely cooled down too fast. You could try heating it up again by placing the container in some hot water to melt it down again. Once it is fully melted, stir it up good and just leave it in the water to slowly cool down as the water temp goes down. That may help. Or if you could just think of a way to slowly cool it then go for it.
    HTH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with PP. I never use the microwave with my shea. I generally use the hot water method and stir until smooth or desired a consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live and I learn...I would try it but that batch is all gone..and strangley enough I think someone was dipping into to it...lol...Thanks for the info and next time I'll try it that way :)

    ReplyDelete