Sunday, April 29, 2012

MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack


I have basically been without a real liner for a couple of months now. I just didn't know which one to get. But seeing the MAC blacktrack on so many tutorials swayed me to get this one. I basically got this free with some Macy's gift cards though but the retail price is $15.00 which is $6.00 cheaper than it's main competition- Bobby Brown's gel eye-liner.

MAC claims:
Ultra-smooth, Fluidline's gel formula provides the precision of a liquid liner with a silkier, softer finish. Goes on fool proof with a brush in an easy dip and stroke action. Long wearing. Smudge-proof. Lines up in a rich array of colors and finishes. Brushes sold separately.


So I've never used a gel liner and this one's texture was a bit surprising. It wasn't anything bad, it just takes a little bit of getting used to though and it takes a little bit of practice before getting the hand of it.

Texture:
The texture is just like butter!! It glides on so smoothly and easily, although I have read some reviews talking about how it dries out after a couple of months. Mine is still good though but if that changes I'll come back and update. I've had if for almost two months now though.

Color:
This is where I'm kind of dissapointed. I bought it in Blacktrack which is described on the MAC website as a solid flat black...but I just feel like it's not black enough. When I put it on, it just seems like it get's muted. Especially if I'm putting it over some crazy colors.

Lasting Power:
No complaints here. Once I put it on, it pretty much stays till I was it off. It also is pretty water resistant.

Packaging:
Nice, sleek, and modern looking. I like it.

Other things I notice:

  • It looks a little bit more natural that some liquid liners tend to and depending on how you like your liner, that could be a good or a bad thing. For me...it's not so good.
  • I also notice that this takes a bit longer to apply than a pencil or a liquid...BUT you can use it in the waterline (with no irritation but I prefer pencil for that)
  • It does offer some versatility, I really like to use it as a base for more dramatic eye looks. There are a few tutorials on youtube showing that.
  • It likes to harden on brushes so make sure to wash the brush or at least wipe the product off



Overall, it's just an OK product for me. Not a must have. I think if the color was a little darker I would like it more. (and I've tried it with a few different brushes, so it's not that) I will definitely be looking into cheaper alternatives and seeing if I like those any better..

2 comments:

  1. I have a few of these but I love my Bobbi Brown Gel Liner the best, By the way, I have just given you an award, you can find the details on my blog :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh Bobbi Brown. I'm defintiely adding that one to the list...the price is just so steep though!!And thanks, my first blog award :) I'm heading there now to check it out!

    ReplyDelete