Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ya'll Remember Kenya Doll??


Ok, so I was having a conversation today about old toys. So of course we talked about Cabbage Patch dolls, dolls that pooped and peed, Sesame Street's Tickle me dolls, and more. But then... Kenya dolls popped in my head. I was probably in the first grade when I got mine. So that would make it December of 1995.

Kenya,the first black doll. Sigh. (or at least the first one I received)

Good Times.

She came with "magic hair lotion" and beads and rubber bands. I can still remember how it smelled. And I remember going through it like it was nothing. It would "straighten" her hair, kind of like a relaxer. But you could wash it out and her natural curls would come back. I never succeeded in making her hair all beaded and braided up but I enjoyed trying. I would do about five braids then stop. I loved my Kenya doll.

In fact, I had two. The original one that most people had was the one with pink spray-painted on shoes..but there was another in a blue outfit with gold shoes. Now I just found out that there was a lighter skinned version and a darker one. I had the medium skin-tone one.  I somehow managed to never see commercials for the doll either.

But I found one on youtube.

 
Too cute.

I think I still have mine. My sister might have them actually. But as soon as I find them,she won't anymore. I'm taking my babies back. Now after a little researching I found out that some Family Dollar's and Walmart's carry them, but they aren't by the same company and of course the quality has gone down. Mine was made by Tyco.

Anyone else remember the Kenya Dolls?


13 comments:

  1. i've never seen or heard of a kenya doll before this post but it would of been quite interesting to have had one as a little girl since the closest doll i had to my skin color was a bratz doll.lol!

    geoaccessories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I feel old now!! Everyone had one back in the day though...I missed the bratz dolls but my sister used to play with them. They are so much more hip than my barbies used to be though. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love my kenya doll. She was the business. I miss the old toys

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love my kenya doll. She was the business. I miss the old toys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! They just don't make them like they used to. I loved the fact that her hair was natural :) I wish I could find mine!

      Delete
  5. Girl I got the light skinned Kenya doll with the pink shoes and I beaded her hair all up.If you need another one they have like two more on ebay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had the patience to braid them up when I was younger! I would do like two or three and then give up :)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea it's two more dolls on ebay just type in Black Tyco dolls and you should see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely check em out! I really wanted my old one back though but all I found was the dress. I'll have to check the basement! Hopefully I find it!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a Kenya doll I loved her I used to sit and braid her hair while my mom braided mine I just started seeing commercials for the new dolls i'm going to family dollar to snatch some up for my daughter and niece's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still mad because I can't find mine. My mom probably threw her away :O!!

      Let me know how you like the new one's. I hear they aren't as good of quality as the older ones...I heard it was plastic now...I really wish I could find one still in the box!

      I'm sure your daughter will love it though :)

      Delete