Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Zucchini Summer Soup

Umm, this was NOT soup. It was more like a pasta sauce. It was just too thick and off-putting to eat as soup. As a pasta sauce it was merely aight.  I wouldn't make it again. But I definitely got my veggies in with this recipe.

I got the recipe from allrecipes.com. Most of the fresh herbs I just used dried or else it could have gotten expensive. The more I use dill in my recipes the more I'm learning I don't like it. At all.





By: Elizabeth 
"This soup can be served hot or cold, and is great to use up those giant zucchinis from the garden! This soup can easily be adjusted to your personal tastes. If you want a thicker soup you can cut back on the tomatoes and add a little more zucchini. Serve with Parmesan cheese.


  • 1 extra large zucchini, cubed
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 4 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
  • 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 1 cup water, or as needed
  • 1 (32 ounce) can chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 sweet onion, chopped
  • 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Place zucchini cubes in colander; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of salt and let stand to drain for 30 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, combine in a blender the roma tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, and water; blend until smooth.
  3. Pour tomato mixture and chicken broth into a large stockpot. Bring to a boil over medium heat; immediately reduce heat to low; stir in sugar and simmer, stirring occasionally.
  4. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic, onion, green pepper, and zucchini, and cook and stir until onion is clear and zucchini is lightly brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer vegetables to blender and pulse a few times, just enough to chop.
  5. Add vegetables to the stockpot; stir in lemon juice, dill, tarragon, and parsley. Simmer, uncovered, for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper to taste. Simmer an additional five minutes. Let stand for ten minutes before serving.

2 comments:

  1. I like eating soup, but I don't know if I'm good at making it. I'm a little lazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lazy too lol but once a week I get out my pots n pans n go for it :) Sometimes it's worth it

      Delete