Monday, May 5, 2014

Maybelline Great Lash Curved Blacked Black Masacra


This mascara brings back memories for me. It is probably the most recognizable mascara in the world. The pink and green tube is legendary and has been around since 1971 (Mine is just pink because it's the curved version!).This is the first mascara I ever bought, it was the cheapest in the drugstore at the time. I put it on faithfully everyday in middle school without even knowing what it was supposed to do. It wasn't until I watched a mascara commercial that I was able to connect the dots. Anywho, the claim is that one is sold every 1.7 seconds.

So does it live up to the hype?

Great Lash Claims:
• America's favorite mascara conditions as it thickens
• Lash-doubling formula glides on smoothly to build great-looking lashes
• Lash-building brush makes it easy to get a full lash look without clumps or globs 
• Contact lens safe
• Hypoallergenic
• Washable, available in Waterproof and Curved Brush


Let's cut to the chase: I think it should be called average lash. My lashes are kinda short and thin and this is so-so. It doesn't give me great lashes.

The packaging is a little outdated but even so I can't imagine them changing it. It has a really short wand with a thin, small, curved wand. It does a decent job of curling but I find it hard to put on without smudging. 


Mostly because the formula is so wet! And it takes a little while to dry and it doesn't hold the whole day, my lashes just seem to "drop".

And the wiper on it that removes excess mascara doesn't seem to work-if there is one. I think this contributes to the problem if it not building up well. If I spend the time and baby them, I can build something sort of decent but kinda clumpy. But I hate "babying" mascara. I want to throw it on and have it look great. This

I do love that it's super black though. And super washable. 

I think this may work on people that have naturally long, thick, lashes that are just looking to add a little color.

For me, I like seeing the tube in my makeup bag because it seems so retro...but there are much better masacras out there!

And check out this old ad!

And this old commercial.


I find it's history fascinating. It's the nerd in me.

Have you tried it? Like it? Love it?

2 comments:

  1. I love using this one for my bottom lashes :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does do pretty good with that!!! But my top lashes end up looking a mess lol

      Delete