Saturday, May 31, 2014

Real Techniques Starter Set


I love my Real Techniques brushes and wanted this one for awhile. I just didn't want to pay the list price ($18). So I stalked Amazon and one day they had it for thirteen dollars and in the cart it went.  I mostly bought this for one brush-the crease brush. I see Pixiwoo use it all the time and had to have it. I didn't even wear concealer that much to really warrant owning the brush but oh well.

Real Techniques claims:
Eye definition goes high definition with our revised starter set.

Base Shadow Brush- applies a smooth, flawless foundation of color
To be honest I didn't even really want this brush. It just didn't look like a must have. Now I realize how wrong I was. I love this brush. It kind of reminds me of the 217 by MAC. It's an excellent blending brush and you can apply a light wash of color also. For me it's a must have. 



MAC 217 vs Real Techniques

Deluxe Crease Brush- soft, oversized design for effortless contouring
The brush I bought the set for. And I love it. Not so much for applying eyeshadow although it will work for that. Generally I think it's a little too dense and big for that. What it works excellent for is applying and blending out concealer. One of my favorites!!






Pixel Point Eye-Liner Brush-
 I don't have many liner brushes so it's hard to compare this particular one. It isn't my favorite though. I really like the bent ones. But I can't deny this brush works. It's a little light feeling for my taste though. It's also a little thick so it creates thicker lines. Apparently they recently changed it to include a finer tipped liner brush.Not a must have for me but I do use it...sometimes...well rarely.


Brow Brush-Brow brush: distinctive shape easily defines eyebrows
This brush is Ok for brows. It's a little on the thick side though. I prefer my MAC 266 which comes to a finer point but if you are a beginner it's a nice inclusion in the kit.



MAC 266 vs Real Techniques


Accent brush-for precision detailing, highlighting and smudging
Cool little brush that's good for smudging color under the lid or applying highlight. I had a $1 Elf Brush that pretty much does the same thing.  I took a pic of it by the one from the core kit for kicks.







So there is my review of the kit. Two brushes that I love. Three I could take or leave.

I was kind of disappointed this doesn't have a brush similar to the 239 (base shadow brush)  that you could use to pack color onto the lid. They really should add one.

Another thing I should mention, these brushes are made of some sort of light weight aluminum. I'm not a big fan of the design but that's not a big deal. Also the brushes are all super soft aluminum. 


It comes with a little travel case that would be good for travel. Apparently you can set it on your makeup table and use it to hold your brushes but honestly it's a little hard to pull the brushes in and out of it so it isn't practical for everyday use. 

Overall, it's a nice kit. There are two must haves and three that are...meh for me.

Do you own one? Like it? Love it? Let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment