Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Shea Moisture: Breaking the Walls



Have you heard about Shea Moisture's newest campaign? They are Breaking the Walls! The walls that make most stores separate "ethnic" hair products from the rest. I noted it not too long ago when I went in a K-Mart and was disappointed in their ethnic aisle. There were almost three aisles of non-ethnic hair care, and not even 1/5 of an aisle dedicated to ethnic hair stuff. And the selection left a lot to be desired. It was disappointing. It's like they go out of their way to segregate the hair aisles.

I think this campaign by Shea Moisture has both positives and negatives.

When it all comes down to it, it's mostly marketing that separate products. Mostly. I've used ethnic hair products and non-ethnic products. And I've experienced my fair share of shock when people find out I use "white" hair products. Ingredients don't know your color! When it all comes down to it, it's all hair. Some of it's straight/curly/kinky, and some of it is dry/oily and on and on. Maybe if hair care was all mixed in together more people would focus on whether or not the product works for their hair type, rather than the color of the person it is marketed for.

I like the idea of mixing it all together. But at the same time I do like the convenience of being able to find all the stuff marketed to me in the same aisle. But why isn't that aisle in the general hair care aisle? Ethnic hair hair is usually in the aisle with the hair combs/brushes/accessories or with the hair dyes/ flat irons/curling irons. Why?

I also can't help but think they have an ulterior motive. Shea Moisture was started as a "black" company. It used to have the black owned business symbol on their packaging. Then gradually that symbol disappeared. And slowly Shea Moisture was marketed to everyone. I almost feel like this "Breaking the Wall" is about Shea Moisture being placed outside of ethnic aisles to reach a broader market. Like they are just trying to get their coins. Because I hardly ever see a non-ethnic person in perusing the ethnic hair stuff.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment