Monday, May 2, 2016

NARS Coeur Battant Blush



I've had this blush for awhile now. I was immediately attracted to the bright pink/purple color. I didn't pick it up the first time I saw it, but I did the second time. I couldn't get the color out my mind. It came out in the Guy Bourdin Collection in 2013. 

NARS Blush claims:
The ultimate authority in blush, NARS offers the industry's most iconic shades for cheeks. Natural, healthy-looking color that immediately enlivens the complexion. A light application of even the highest-intensity hues delivers a natural-looking flush.
  • Silky texture in matte and shimmering shades
  • Micronized powder ensures soft, blendable application
  • Iconic NARS shades

So Coeur Battant means beating heart. I love NARS names because I always learn something new. 

The blush is a matte fuchsia. In certain lighting it has a bit more purple to it. But I find on my cheeks it's more pink and I don't see the purple anywhere. It is definitely a more unique NARS release. They don't have a shade like it in the permanent line but I'm sure there are many dupes from lines like Inglot, Black Up etc.
Promotional Photo from NARS for the collection.

For the most part, I love NARS blushes. But this isn't like most of the NARS blushes I have. It's hard to pick up on a brush most times because it develops hard pan. I can clean off the top layers with tape or scrape off a layer and 2-3 uses later its' developing hard pan again. It's the most frustrating thing, especially considering these blushes are not cheap. I've had quite a few blushes and this is the only blush I have that does this (actually NARS Seductions blush does this too!). 
You can see the hard pan in the picture. Eww.

In addition to it being hard to work with, I find the color hard to wear. It's not one of those blushes I can just throw on. I find I really have to have the right look to make it work or else it can look clownish. But that's a given considering the color. I've found more looks I don't like it with than looks I love it with. I've tried it with blues, purples, bronzes...etc. My favorite way to wear it is with bright orange lipstick. For some reason it seems to compliment the lipstick as opposed to working against it. It can work with neutral, matte brown, slightly smoky eyes....but I have a hard time pairing it with neutral lipsticks. It's just really difficult color for me to figure out. 

It's not the hardest to blend out, but I feel like it always disturbs the foundation I have under it.

It looks more natural with a dusting of powder over top. Almost like it's actually coming from within....kinda. The best thing about it is that it lasts all day.

I know a lot of people complain about NARS packaging because it can get dirty easily. I love the packaging and haven't have a problem with the packaging getting grubby. It has that velvet feel to it. And it comes with a mirror, which can be handy when you are on the go.

NARS blushes are .16 oz in comparison to MAC that are .21 oz, or Urban Decay at .23 oz. 

Overall it's quite disappointing.  I wish I had used it more when I first got it, so that way I could have figured out I didn't like it and returned it. I find NARS Customer Service to be as unhelpful as they possibly can be if you have a problem with their products, which is pretty disappointing. I do have other NARS blushes that I love but I think in the future I will stay away from their limited edition releases. 


I had it on my eyes and cheeks here. It goes on very muted on the eyes. I didn't really like this look but figured I would post it anyway. 

 It plays well with orange lipstick- this one is Urban Decay's Bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment