Thursday, June 9, 2016

MAC 183 Flat Buffer Brush Review


I don't typically purchase collabs. I think besides this brush I've got a couple MAC Rihanna Viva Glam lipsticks and that is about it. If the collab has any controversy (MAC Vibe Tribe), I tend to stay away. I read about it on the Temptalia website, which I really appreciate that she does that. I think cultural appropriation is wrong and you vote with your dollars. I don't want to contribute to a problem that is offensive to an entire culture just because of some pretty packaging. The Kelly Osbourne collection was drama free, which is great because I really wanted this brush!

MAC claims:
For applying powder and bronzer to all part of the body

I don't know much about Kelly Osbourne except she used to be featured in a couple teen magazines from when I was in middle school and her mom had a talk show. Oh, and that I loved her purple hair. She really pulls it off!

When I saw the brush, I mostly wanted it because the handle. I just really loved that purple! Also, I didn't have a brush similar in my collection at the time. Plus I was using the Bare Minerals foundation at the time and they had a brush that looked similar but their brushes always felt cheap and scratchy to me at quite high prices. I already had the MAC 182 that buffed the foundation in nicely, but a brush like this offers better coverage. 

It's a very dense, soft, goat-haired brush. And it really does offer higher coverage in less time than my MAC 182, which was great in a rush. I really loved it for powder foundation and I definitely got a lot of use out of it. But I tend to prefer liquid foundation. And I don't use powder that often. So now that the Bare Minerals Foundation is done, it doesn't get as much use as it should. I will probably get more use when I use a lighter setting powder, but for now I'm using a heavy powder (it's a "bronzer) and this applies it too heavy unless I knock a lot off on the back of my hand. 

I've never used it with liquid. Liquid/cream can mess up natural hair brushes. And I don't want to risk it, since I did pay a lot for the brush.

As for shedding, it sheds a little when I wash it. I don't get much shedding as I'm using it. 

Closest brush I have to it is the ELF powder brush, which I love! It's not as dense but for $3 I can't complain too much!

You can use it for highlighter, blending out blush etc, I just found I had other brushes that worked better and it's mostly a powder foundation, loose powder brush for me. 

This brush is made in China. Most MAC brushes tend to be made in Japan, and a couple in France. Most of the ones made in China tend to be machine-cut, rather than hand-cut. I don't know with this one. I'm not sure where the regular one is made, or if they make all the buffer brushes in China since the 182 is made there too. All I know is the brush is soft and seems like it will last me a long time.

It's not currently out, but MAC often brings brushes back with different collections. This one cost a whopping $58. I had a credit card rewards for $25 which made the price a little better. I really do love this brush, and it's great for powder foundation. I just wish I used powder foundation's more so I could get more use out of it!

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment