Saturday, January 21, 2017

E.L.F Brightening Lavender Mineral Face Primer Review

 I've tried a couple primers. I tend to believe they are mostly unnecessary if you have a great foundation. But even though I think they are unnecessary it doesn't stop me from buying them. Of the primers I've tried, Smashbox was definitely my favorite. But this primer takes second place in comparison to most other primers I have tried so far.


E.L.F claims:
Transform your face into a flawless and smooth canvas with the Mineral Infused Face Primer. Developed to combat against excess oil, flaky dryness, enlarged pores and fine lines. This clear multipurpose skin primer will prepare your skin so makeup goes on evenly for a long-lasting satin finish.

Features a new and improved air pump! For best results, you may need to pump the component several times before product dispenses.

Brightening Lavender is ideal for uneven skin tones and to brighten dull or yellow tones.

I haven't tried much from E.L.F except their brushes, which I really like. Especially considering how affordable they are. So when I ran out of my last primer (Benefit Porefessional- not a fan!) I picked this one up. The retail price is $6, but E.L.F sometimes has half off sales which might be worth checking out to score it even cheaper. I think I paid about $4 for mine. 

You get .49 ounces. Which is not a lot and makes the product a little less than $12 an ounce. It's definitely on the pricier side of drugstore primers when you take into consideration the amount you are getting. 

The packaging is surprisingly nice. It's actually an airless pump bottle which is nice, and pretty rare in the drugstore as far as I've seen. Airless pumps are supposed to keep the product fresher. Although I don't consider primers as skincare,  so to me it's not absolutely necessary a primer be in such a bottle. 

The product feels like any other silicone primer. So it makes your skin silicone smooth which helps makeup glide on. It seems to hide pores a tiny bit. It's not drying at all. And I don't end up looking like a greasy hot mess at the end of the day. It helps that it's currently winter time and cold, but other primers have left my skin awfully oily even in winter. 

As for the "brightening" lavender. I kind of feel like it helps, but a part of me just thinks it's gimmicky and I'm just imagining it. In any case, it certainly doesn't dull my skin.

Almost forgot to mention, at the moment I'm using it with a Bobbi Brown foundation that doesn't have the best wear time, this prolongs the wear just a little. But I still do with it was more. To be honest, it's more the foundation fault. I think the Smashbox would probably make the foundation wear even better than this. But for $6? Not bad. 

Typical cone ingredients. Nothing special in there are far as I can tell.

Ingredients
Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone,Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Phenoxyethanol
May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Red 40 Lake (CI 16035), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Chromium Oxide Greens (CI 77288), Tin Oxide (CI 77861)


Overall, I really like it. And I would recommend it. Not something that will blow your mind, but it gets the job done. I will definitely be trying out some of the different varieties in the future. Any idea which I should pick first, Clear or Radiant Glow?

Let me know in the comments!

Also if your curious these are the primers I've tried
Maybelline Baby Skin (don't recommend)
Smash box Primer (just the regular one-my fave!)
Benefit Professional (waste of money)
Revlon Beyond Natural Primer (think it's discontinued)

No comments:

Post a Comment