Monday, July 17, 2017

Zucchini & Coconut Bread with Coconut Lime Rum Glaze

It was about time a baking recipe came along, I was getting tired of cooking real food and really just wanted to break out the mixer and go for it. I've made tons and tons of zucchini breads...zucchini pineapple, zucchini raspberry, zucchini spice, zucchini raspberry, zucchini chocolate chip.... The list goes on and on. I don't think I've made a zucchini coconut before. And certainly not with any alcohol involved! So I was down....


I got the recipe from The Novice Housewife. And I think the original recipe comes from another blog.

It was easy to make. Just started out creaming the butter and sugar. There isn't much butter in the recipe- I think the greek yogurt is supposed to a healthy substitute for some of the butter. I added in the greek yogurt, the eggs, rum, vanilla extract, rum, coconut, flour, baking soda, salt and flour. And I ended up with a decent looking batter. Surprisingly, although it seemed I added a lot of zucchini-it wasn't that zucchini heavy!

I poured the batter into my super cheap, dollar store bread pan. And baked for an hour. Yes, a whole hour. And it came out perfectly done and pretty.

I made the glaze. I eyeballed it rather than measuring anything out. And I added some rum to it per the recipe. It tasted kind of odd. The lime juice was nice, but I think the rum gave it an artificial flavor. And yes, I bought an entire bottle of rum just to use two teaspoons- guess I'll also be making Pina Coladas this weekend too! I went through enough to get the stuff (this guy was trying to talk to me-but I ran out the store extra quick-I didn't look too hard, I think he was cute, but I just wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone-especially in a liquor store!). 



Anyway this was the finished bread. Super pretty. But just a little bland. The coconut flavor didn't do too much to the finished bread. I think it needed some spices or something to up the flavor. 

Interesting to try- but I have better zucchini bread recipes saved to my pinterest board. In case your interested though I will link the recipe right here. Although this recipe didn't quite do it for me, there are others I definitely want to give a go from the same blog. 




SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment