Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Prince

 


The legendary Prince. A couple years back Urban Decay did a Prince collection of makeup- a part of me wanted it because I love a purple eyeshadow and Urban Decay usually does them well but I had heard the quality wasn't there. But I almost bought it just because it was Prince.

But we aren't here to talk makeup. We are going to talk music. Is there any other artist more talented than Prince?  I don't know. I didn't really grow up listening to Prince-except maybe one or four songs. So I had a lot of fun listening to Prince's catalogue and finding new favorites. 

Starting with Scandalous. I had no idea Prince did a Batman soundtrack album. Maybe we shouldn't have started there...😂 A new classic for me though. 


You Make my Sunshine is one in the playlist because I like the message. Angie's afro is ON POINT. I need to go blow out my hair.



I think my favorite, favorite Prince song is Do Me Baby. I LOVE, love, love, love this song. I even live for  the cover done by Meli'sa Morgan. Remember that scene with Chris Tucker of Rush Hour? I don't remember the rest of the movie but that scene is ingrained in my memory.



I remember hearing this as a small kid and I would occasionally have the lyrics in my head but had no idea it was a Prince song. I just vaguely remembered the lyrics. I do really like this song though.


When You Were Mine is my song. I heard the Cyndi Lauper cover first and was kinda surprised (not really) to find it was Prince's song. I like both versions. I think this is my 2nd favorite Prince song.


I have a few version of I Can't Make You Love Me. First version I fell in love with was from Tank. He didn't do many covers but he rocked this one. 


Sing this one to your woman lol. It's not my favorite Prince song but it's solid.


I knew the Tevin Campbell version of this and had no idea Prince wrote this song for Tevin. After I thought about it, it does song like a Prince song so I shouldn't have been surprised. It's a favorite, favorite. 


I remember when Call My Name. I remember watching the music video on BET. This is really the Prince I knew. I don't think I remember the song so much as I remembered the music video. I think I would watch a few minutes and then change it to something else. The song has grown on me though.


Nothing Compares 2 U became a monster hit for Sinead O'Connor. I wasn't really familiar with her song until I watched a Prince countdown and this one was usually number one as songs he had written for other artist/covers. I do really like the way Prime did the song though.

I think I might have lied earlier...I think Kiss might be my favorite Prince song. This is iconic Prince. This is the song that I can hear that other artists were inspired by. Usually if I hear Prince's influence in others music- it's cause I'm hearing this song. IDK if it's the beat, or the falsetto style. But this is THAT song.


I Wanna Be Your Lover is more of that iconic Prince sound. I love this one too!


I don't even think I am half done because there are so many songs. Erotic City is from Purple Rain. I've only seen the movie once. It kinda was the same  as Britney Spears Crossroads, Mariah Carey Glitter. But the soundtrack was a million times better. It's fun to jam to this one


So I did lie about my favorite Prince song. There's a few of them but Purple Rain is that song. Does anyone else always bust out signing Purple Rain in the shower? Because I do. I wish I could have purple shower water. That would complete the experience/vision. I don't really know what the song means (and I've googled and read other peoples interpretation) but when I get in the shower and sing this...you can't tell me I'm not shouting/screaming/singing Purple Rain without feeling. I put my heart and soul into my shower renditions.



Quintessential 80's music. Can't have an 80's playlist without it.


I think it was the live version of this song that made it a favorite. If only I had a time machine. I would go back in time and attend this concert so fast.



I like Silly Game. I think it's because it reminds me of other songs- the sound does but I can't pinpoint which ones.



Wherever U Go, Whatever U Do is a completely different sound than his other music- but I love it! I really do..


Almost done. Can't have a Prince playlist without Adore. This song reminds me of some of Miguels type of songs. He was definitely inspired by Prince too.



If I was Your Girlfriend was confusing at first..I couldn't figure out the meaning. I've got it now. I loved this song before I understood it though anyway. It's a song that's been sampled quite a bit too. Who wouldn't want a boyfriend that's your girlfriend? 

I heard Alicia Keys cover of the song first so I had no idea she remade it and it wasn't hers originally. Now I have both versions. She definitely didn't change much but I guess you can't mess with perfection, right? 


And that's all! Hours and many songs later I have finally posted all my favorite Prince jams. I really do wish I could use a time machine and see him live. I remember being absolutely astounded at how many instruments he plays- he played all the instruments on his first album. You would think it was a band but NOPE! All Prince.  Prince is THE BAND. And an amazing performer. Often imitated, never to be duplicated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment