Sunday, January 14, 2024

Cannoli, Gochuchang Orange Chicken, Rustic Apple Tart

 I'm procrastinating doing things I don't want to do (pack) and instead focusing on things I don't need to do. Which is this post and the second one I am going to do after this one. Then I'll probably watch a movie and go to sleep, which is not what I should be doing. Oh well.


I made cannoli again. No particular recipe, I pulled from a few websites. Mostly I made this for my Dad. Cause he will be going stateside soon- and he likes cannoli but I don't think he is likely to make it. And homemade cannoli is so much better than most that you could buy in the states. I made the dough in the food processor because I was feeling lazy. And just wanted to try it a different way. Then rolled the dough out in the pasta roller to get them super thin. I don't know that it was necessary but they did come out much thinner than I usually roll them which was a good thing. Then I just threw together filling. I usually mix ricotta and mascarpone. I add sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla to taste. So easy and comes out amazing- and much better than the last ones I bought that were stuffed with what tasted like Duncan Hines frosting. And there they are- the first few I fried too long but I turned the oil temp down and the later ones came out perfectly. I still have half the cannoli dough in the freezer- but don't really want to make it because I only have two metal cannoli forms took forever....


Next up, Orange Chicken. No recipe because I just throw stuff together. I tried gochuchang in the last few batches of Orange chicken I made and I love it! So I did that today but used way too much gochuchang so mostly it was spicy and not as sweet. We went to the airport early this AM so I blame my heavy hand on being tired. It still came out amazing. Served with rice and over steamed green beans.


Last up, Rustic Apple Tart. I've always wanted to make a free-style tart. I made this crust in the food processor too. It was actually really good and a little different than what I usually make because it uses cream cheese. Very strange. But it works. Then I cut up a billion apples (I think 6 apples is too much) and made two tarts. These are not sweet. If you like a less sweet tart, this would be for you. My family liked it, but I think I prefer it to be sweeter. I also did the whipped cream less sweet too. Prolly shoulda added more sugar. It also needs a sprinkle of chunky sugar to up its looks. Not bad though.

No comments:

Post a Comment