Sunday, January 14, 2024

Hermes Caleche Eau De Toilette Review

 

I am still trying my way through the most iconic fragrances of all time and almost skipped this one. I think mostly because of the price but then in a late night impulsive decision, I just went for it. I think curiosity got the best of me....

I'm pretty sure this is the priciest fragrance I have bought...and I could not find it on sale. I usually love saving at least a little bit on perfume purchases. This was 118 Euro...not sure what the dollar amount was but I don't feel like looking through my statements to find out. 

Hermes claims:

Caleche by Hermès is a Floral Aldehyde fragrance for women. Caleche was launched in 1961. The nose behind this fragrance is Guy Robert. Top notes are Aldehydes, Cypress, Bergamot, Neroli, Orange Blossom, Lemon and Mandarin Orange; middle notes are Iris, Ylang-Ylang, Rose, Gardenia, Jasmine and Lily-of-the-Valley; base notes are Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Cedar, Musk, Amber and Tonka Bean.

Calèche: composed by Guy Robert in 1961, this very feminine combination of flower,wood and chypre, whose name evokes the House’s emblematic carriage team, shines through the beauty of its primary ingredients, from the gaiety of its citrus hints to the modernity of its aldehyde notes, from its floral heart embroidered with ylang-ylang, rose and jasmine, to its woody chypre afternote, emphasized by the nobility of iris.

This is supposed to be a really iconic fragrance- but I had never heard of it until I found it on a list somewhere. When it was released in 1961 the slogan was "It's all a woman needs to wear". Wow, ok....

 I think I was a little scared to purchase because I didn't like Colonia- the last iconic fragrance I bought and the description I read said that it's bit masculine, tough, and unapproachable among some  other stuff that made me curious but scared to take the plunge. I am not a fan of wearing more masculine scents.

According to a quick search Carole Lombard and Liz Taylor wore this fragrance. And it was said to be a favorite of Princess Anne's.




The reason this is supposed to be iconic is because it was said to be the first perfume that  mixes floral with woody notes. I wouldn't really call this a woody fragrance- but I'm not great at picking out scents though. It doesn't smell particularly woody to me...but I'm still learning. 





This scent to me is a mix of Chanel No.5 (aldehydes!) and Guerlain Shalimar.  I love the notes that remind me of Shalimar and I think that's what I like about this fragrance. The aldehydes are soapy and floral and very clean smelling. It's an interesting fragrance- definitely smells like an old school fragrance. I like it, I have enjoyed using the bottle and will happily use the rest of it. But it's not one that gets compliments. 

It does last really well though if you spray enough. No issues with lasting power over here. Not sure that it projects out very well...possible. But I think it's mostly a skin scent. 

Overall, I wouldn't buy it again but I have enjoyed using it. I think by the time I reach the end of the bottle I will be over it and ready for something new though...


No comments:

Post a Comment