Thursday, April 29, 2021

Chanel N°5 Eau De Parfum Review

 Finally, I have finally gotten my hands on the Chanel N°5 perfume!  I have wanted it just about forever and I love trying things that were made back in the day and are still around today. It's been around sine 1921. And supposedly a bottle is sold every 30 seconds.


 

Marilyn Monroe once famously said it was the only things she wore to bed. Of course back then it was only available in the pure parfum version. Which I do want to get my hands on one day. The spray Eau De Parfum is the more modern version.

 

It was the beginning of modern perfume as we know it. It brought complexity in a world of single note scents.  But probably not the same as the 1921 version. Perfumes definitely change over the years. I would love to smell of the 1921 version. Just out of curiosity.

Anyway, since I heard the history of it and how iconic it was...I've wanted it. Just never bought it until a few months ago. I finished up my YSL perfume and wanted something new...I had a $20 gift card and another $20 off..so I went for it. I ended up paying about $82 or $84 or so for a perfume originally priced at $134. And I got the big bottle too Win for me

Chanel claims:

Since its creation in 1921, N°5 has exuded the very essence of femininity: An abstract, mysterious scent, alive with countless subtle facets, radiating an extravagant floral richness. In 1986, Jacques Polge, reinterpreted his predecessor Ernest Beaux’s composition to create a fuller, more voluminous version of the now and forever women's fragrance: the Eau de Parfum.

composition

With its unprecedented use of aldehydes, which add layers of complexity, N°5 was the world’s first abstract fragrance. The Eau de Parfum draws inspiration from the Parfum with which it shares its floral aldehyde signature. This floral bouquet composed around May Rose and Jasmine features bright citrus top notes. Aldehydes create a unique presence while the smooth touch of Bourbon Vanilla leaves an incredibly sensual trail.


So first off, I'll start with the packaging. I love the bottle.The black and white label, shape of the bottle, and the golden liquid inside. I feel like the glass is more pristine and clear than other glass bottles but it could be my imagination. I've heard the bottle is handmade but I'm not sure that's true. And it's cool because the little plastic tube inside becomes invisible in the bottle. I'll probably keep the bottle forever, long after the perfume is gone.

Now as for the perfume...I have mixed feelings. Sometimes it has an "old lady" scent to it. There's just one note about it that's off, which I have no idea how to describe it. Other times, it's really nice. Powdery, and floral - jasmine being the most noticeable to me. I don't think it smells amazing on me. It's a little too "loud" at time. But I could imagine it smelling amazing on some other people. Everyone's chemistry is different though. 

As for lasting power- I honestly don't find it lasts that great. Maybe I get about 8 hours? And when it's gone...leaves not a trace, which was kinda surprising to me. It smells like it should have some staying power. 

I don't think there's much else to say about it. I don't love it, but I can appreciate it. Probably not a repurchase unless I go for the pure parfum version of it. And Marilyn is right...it is nice to wear to sleep because of the powdery notes to it- although I would apply it very lightly and not on my neck.

I'm happy to have it in my collection for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment