Sunday, April 7, 2024

Slow Cooker Pepper Steak, Tortillas, and Almond Peach Ginger Oatmeal

 I still have about a billion things to do the rest of the night but I thought I would knock out one or two posts- just as a break. I think the last couple of weeks every Sunday I have done a food post- GO ME! I think I might fall off for a little bit because I have been in the kitchen a lot. But we'll see.



First up, I made pepper steak. This recipe was OK. It tastes like your run of the mill pepper steak. I've never had pepper steak...but it is basic and easy. I don't make enough things in the slow cooker- but this is one of those things I don't really think needs a slow cooker. You can very easily make this in a pan if you use a decent cut of beef. I used a lower quality ribeye so it did get more tender than just cooking it in a pan. This was also the first time I thinly sliced it, which I usually buy it pre-sliced. Now that I know how easy it is to slice myself- I will probably just do so going forward. Anyway, easy and just OK I would make it again but using a different recipe.




Next up tortillas. I've made tortillas many times before. Usually I just use olive oil...and I think I have made it with shortening. This one called for lard which I don't use so I used a type of Shortening- Biskin. It's available in German stores and I like using it because no trans fats. Luckily everything I've used it for has turned out well. I steamed some carrots and then made Steak Quesadillas. I still have a ton of tortillas left so this week I'll just stuff different things into them. This morning I made an egg and cheese one. Yum! I meant to buy some avocados and make guac but didn't get around to it. I also meant to get salsa. Whoops! 


Last up- this was supposed to be a tart recipe from the Unofficial Harry Potter cookbook. I just couldn't hype myself enough to make it...so I used the same flavors and made it into an Oatmeal. I also didn't want to use up my can of golden syrup. Which I can't actually open at the moment because I don't have a can opener. I need to get one. But I was pretty happy with this oatmeal. I added cinnamon because just ginger wasn't doing it for me. I'll probably make more oats and add peaches...some spices, the sliced almonds and some cookie butter. 

And that's all! Until the next one...


No comments:

Post a Comment