Sunday, July 11, 2010

Learning to Cook: Zuppa Tuscana


This is supposed to be a popular soup at the Olive Garden. I've never actually had it at the Olive Garden but I thought I would give it a go. And it turned out YUMMY!!! This was the first soup I've ever made to.



Ingredients

  • 1 (16 ounce) package smoked sausage
  • 2 potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 6 slices bacon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 2 cups kale - washed, dried, and shredded
  • 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
  • 1 quart water
  • 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
  2. Layer the sausage links onto a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, or until done. Cut in half length-wise, then cut at an angle into 1/2 inch slices.
  3. Place onions and bacon in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat until onions are almost clear.
  4. Remove bacon and crumble. Set aside.
  5. Add garlic to the onions and cook an additional 1 minute. Add chicken base or bouillon, water, and potatoes, simmer 15 minutes.
  6. Add crumbled bacon, sausage, kale, and cream. Simmer 4 minutes and serve.

I couldn't find any kale so I substituted spinach.



I recommend it. Although I would recommend it with Italian Sausage. I used the smoked but the Hot Italian sausage would give it an extra kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment