Saturday, December 17, 2011

Zu's Fried Apple Pies


Mcdonalds Apple Pie. Thats what I thought of when I saw the recipe. Minus all the added junk like corn syrup and the other stuff. I love Mcdonalds apple pies though, so I was excited to try these. And they were good. But not "I gotta have it". I think I might like them more baked. I didn't like the oil taste.


And they were a lot of work. Rolling out that dough was a challenge. But the plus is that I learned how to make pie crust. And apple pie filling. And I had some left over that I would add to oatmeal and cream of wheat for a little home made apples and cinnamon breakfast. It was better than the packets!! And healthier too.

I probably wouldn't make them again though. They were just "aight". Maybe I'll try another recipe though.


"These are simple and delicious. My kids can't stop eating them! I sometimes use canned apple pie filling and a little sugar and maybe add some ground cinnamon to pastry. Yum!"



Ingredients

  • 2 apples - peeled, cored and chopped
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup water, or as needed
  • 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
  • 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar

Directions

  1. Place the apples into a saucepan with the sugar and cinnamon, and bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook the apples, stirring frequently, until soft, about 10 minutes; mash the apples with a fork to form a chunky applesauce. Set the apple filling aside.
  2. Whisk flour and salt together in a bowl, and cut in the shortening with a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water until the dough is moistened, and knead several times just until dough holds together. Place dough onto a floured surface, pat into a round, and roll out 1/8-inch thick. Use a large round cookie cutter (4 inches in diameter) to cut the dough into 8 rounds.
  3. Place a heaping tablespoon of apple filling onto the center of a dough round, and use your finger to moisten the edge of the crust with cold water. Fold the dough over the filling, and crimp the edges with a fork to make a half-moon-shaped pie. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
  4. Pour the oil into a skillet over medium-high heat, and gently lay 2 or 3 pies into the hot oil. Fry to a golden brown color, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain the pies on paper towels. Sprinkle a pinch of confectioners' sugar over each pie to serve. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment