Sunday, July 28, 2013

Real Techniques Core Collection Brushes


My Ecotools brushes have been slowly but surely giving out on me and I needed some new ones. I LOVE pixiwoo on youtube and love watching their makeup videos. I found out they pretty much have their own brushes and always see them using them and decided I need some of them too. I saw them in Ulta before but I had just gotten some brushes so I passed. A few months ago I saw them on Amazon.com so I ordered them...along with Season 5 of True Blood!


I paid almost fifteen for them...which is pretty reasonable for four brushes. It comes with a case...which is just a plain basic black case that I never really use.

So I'll just start with most favorite...to least favorite.

1. Buffing Brush


ideal for full coverage application of powder and mineral foundation

My favorite of the collection. No doubts about it. I use this brush whenever I have to put powder on. I It really does buff it in flawlessly. It is the perfect denseness but a little on the small size but I actually like that because it means I spend a little more time making sure everything is truly blended in. It's really soft and could work for blush in a pinch. 


2. Contour Brush

delicately applies highlighter to contour or create sheer, soft-focus finish

I use this as a highlight brush. I don't really contour. I tried but the color I used was not pigmented so it didn't go very well (not the brush's fault!) I'll try it again one day but for now this will serve as the highlight brush. It applies a light dab of color where I need it without looking to glittery. I've been using MAC Skin finish in Gold Deposit which can look way glittery when I use to much.UPDATE: TOO SMALL TO USE AS A CONTOUR...DOESN" PICK UP POWDER THAT WELL EITHER

3. Foundation Brush

Use with liquid foundation to build custom coverage

The foundation brush is way too small. Because of that I don't really like using it that much. It's not anything special. I definitely don't like it as much as the other two brushes, but since I have it...I do make it a point to use it. (when my other foundation brushes are dirty!) UPDATE: WORKS OK FOR BLENDING OUT UNDEREYE CONCEALER

4. Detailer Brush

 precision cut to effortlessly conceal problem areas; or, use with lipstick for long-lasting shape and definition

This is the brush that sat in my little silver brush holder for weeks before I could figure out how to use it. To be honest, I still don't have a really good use for it. I don't really use concealer...but if I did I probably wouldn't use this. It's tiny. Which is probably a good thing. Maybe. So then I tried using it as a lip brush. But I'm just a "from the tube straight to the lips type of girl". I have big lips and just don't have the time to do the million swipes it takes to build the color.  I want to like it...I just can't figure out what to use it for. Oh well. UPDATE: Works perfectly for concealer!Loving this one now...


So as you can tell, there are two brushes I love...and two I could do without. 

What they all have in common is sleek metal handles which I'm really liking, because I think it will last longer. The Ecotools brushes from the same company separate after some time. But it looks like they may have changed the metal on those so don't quote me. 

Overall, it's not a bad purchase. I'm love the contour and highlight brush so I'll say it was worth it. I just wish they would improve the other two brushes.


2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on those two brushes but after owning the collection for awhile now I have used them for certain reasons. I use the foundation brush as a concealer brush for larger problem areas and I use the detailing brush for applying my OCC Lip tar. There's a few in the line that I really want to get my hands on, the blush brush, the expert face brush and the stippling brush :-) Great post hun! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!

      Hopefully I find some uses for them :) I don't really use concealor...but I might find it helpful for really pigmented stuff. I want them all lol everytime I see them using them on youtube I add them to my cart on Amazon, but I'm trying to pae myself.

      Delete