Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Youtube Beauty Gurus


Youtube has taught me so much over the years...especially when it comes to makeup. I've learned a lot. That much cannot be disputed. I love watching reviews and the different looks people come up with or replicate. I could watch beauty videos for hours and hours and hours.

But at the same time...I've realized I have to take everything with a grain of salt. Not everyone is honest on youtube. A lot of "gurus" are sponsored and some make money when you purchase things especially if they have a special link. I can't knock the hustle...everyone wants to get stuff for free or get compensated for a video they make. But at what cost? So I tend to be wary of youtube reviews. Especially from people that hardly ever give a negative review or are sponsored. I like doing additional research on products before I buy from sites like Makeupalley and blogs (although some of those have people don't review things so honestly!).

Oh yeah, most of us know that you have to disclose if you get something for free but I've seen people that were dishonest about that too. 

Another thing you must watch out for are people teaching you to do things...that they don't know how to do. I've seen some pretty awful videos on contouring where a girl the color of dark chocolate used a highlight color that was WHITE. She put this highlight color all the middle of her face. It was a complete disaster. Another girl was doing "bridal makeup" and swiped a really dark contour on her models face and neglected to blend it. It looked like someone just swiped mud on her face. I saw one woman with the WORST eyeshadow application I had ever seen in my life make over 100 videos instructing on her awful technique. Another chic had a eyebrow tutorial on how to make sharpie eyebrows. She thought they looked great but they looked awful. And there are girls out there that will try to imitate these looks.

And another thing I don't understand...women that do drag. Extreme highlighting and contouring just not something the everyday person needs. One look I really hate is the TOO bright under eye conceal or. I tried it because I had seen a lot of you tubers do it and I'm not a fan. I looked sick and alien. One shade brighter is all you need. No one is that tired. And if you are get some SLEEP!

I do have to confess, the makeup videos where people are horrible at makeup yet make tutorials are actually some of my favorite. It's like watching a train wreck, you can't take your eyes away from it. I saw one girl bang out her face. Eyeshadow done (didn't look great, came out murky!) and gobs and gobs of lip goo. She put all this makeup on her face...but didn't put concealer, foundation, or blush on.  And she had a LOT of hyper-pigmentation. I was so confused.


Anyway, I think that's my whole rant.

I've got to run back to youtube to watch more videos. :)

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you hun, I always read a few different reviews on a product before buying it because at the end of the day if your getting something for free it's gonna feel more amazing than if you paid a lot of money for it!

    Oh my god!! Talking about girls making tutorials when they have no clue what they're doing! Have you seen the Hair Tutorial Gone Wrong video? Hahahahahahah! It's so funny go check it out if you haven't, it was on The Ellen Show too :-) great rant hun! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look it up!! I've seen one where this girl was curling her hair and her hair completely burned off with the iron. The look on her face was priceless...Poor girl lol But it grows back!!! :)

      And that's so true :) The product gets brownie points just because it was free...it's hard to remain objective...that's why I'm so glad we have the "blogger world"!

      Delete