Thursday, September 11, 2014

Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser for Normal to Oily Skin


In between waiting for my food to digest so I could hop on the elliptical, so I thought I would do a quick review. I found myself (yet again) in need of a facial cleanser so I bought the much hyped Cetaphil. I would always pick the bottle up and then put it back in exchange for something that didn't look so boring. With all the hype surrounding it I finally just decided I may as well give it a go.

Cetaphil claims:
For Normal to Oily Skin
  • Removes excess oil without drying
  • Rinses clean
  • Non-comedogenic/fragrance free
  • Dermatologist recommended
This effective yet gentle facial cleanser was originally formulated for dermatologists to keep normal to oily skin clean and healthy.
  • Removes surface oils, dirt and makeup without leaving skin tight or overly dry
  • Rinses clean without leaving any pore-clogging residue
  • Gentle enough for everyday use


This facial cleanser has gotten many awards and Cetaphil is a brand that has been around for 60 years. For some reason I keep think Cetaphil came out around when I was in high school. Odd.

Anywho, it comes in a HUGE 16 oz lockable pump bottle. The packaging is ugly, awkward, and bulky IMHO which is another reason I didn't want to take it home with me.

I was really surprised the first time I used it. For some reason I was expecting a thick white lotion type of cleanser. Instead the actual product is a gel-like clear, runny formula. It doesn't lather at all unless I use it with my clarisonic. 

I also expected this would suck at removing makeup,but it does a decent job. Granted I am wearing the Maybelline Fit Me Stick which comes off easily anyway. While it does OK with most makeup, it doesn't do as great a job breaking down mascara. 

It makes two major claims on the bottle. One, it rinses clean, which it does. And, two, that it will cleanse without drying skin. Which I found to not be true at all. My cheek/ chin area gets so dry and cracked looking after using this. There's nothing I hate more than when a cleanser does that. 

Another good thing, this product has not broken me out.

EDIT: I quit using this for awhile and went back to it-I have texture issues with my skin when I use it, Bumps under the skin and my complexion just doesn't look as great as I KNOW it can

The scent is sort of like generic lotion to me (or Keri lotion scented) with a bit of sweet tart in it. Nothing offensive but nothing that has me looking forward to face wash time.

Now let's talk ingredients...they are terrible!! Not one of the ingredients in this product is something I recognize or am thrilled about putting on my face. What's most intresting about this product is that it has masking fragrance in it...but still has a scent. *confused.

Ingredients:
Water (Purified), Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Acrylates/Steareth 20 Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Glycerin, PEG 200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Butylene Glycol, PEG 7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Phenoxyethanol, Masking Fragrance (Parfum), Panthenol, PEG 60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben

In short, I found it to be average at most. I most definitely wouldn't repurchase this again ( I may try the Gentle Skin formula some day) and most likely wouldn't recommend because it's so drying. 

Have you tried Cetaphil? Are you a fan? 

Random Fact: Cetaphil is made in Canada. 

No comments:

Post a Comment