Sunday, December 14, 2014

MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pot in Soft Ochre



Christmas is a coming!! I'm not done with my Christmas shopping but I'm working on it. How far along are you? I may try a few places and see if I can't finish by tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm working on my holiday look...not that I have anywhere to go. But I usually do my face up and go absolutely no where anyway. I wear more makeup to  sit in the house than I do to go out. 

Don't judge me.

Anywho, the key to most eyeshadow looks for me is primer. With my super oily lids I have to use primer or else my shadow completely disappears in a matter of hours whether it's summer or winter. 

Mac claims:
"Described as yellow beige"
A highly pigmented eye colour that goes on creamy but dries to an intense, vibrant finish. The next generation of a popular MAC formula, Paint Pots maintains all the intense traits of its inspiration. Long-wearing, colourfast. Creates seamless coverage without weight or caking. Blends smoothly over the lids. Cream-based, can be mixed with MAC shadows and liners. Available in matte and pearl formulas.

I've seen a lot of people sing the praises of MAC paint pots on youtube lately so I thought I would try it. I have used Urban Decay Primer Potion in Original and Sin, and I have also tried Too Faced Shadow Insurance. So I think I have a good comparison base. 

Anyway, it seems there are two colors that come most recommended: Soft Ochre (yellow undertone) and Painterly (pink undertone). I KNOW I'm not pink undertone, so I picked out Soft Ochre. I don't necessarily fall into the yellow undertone most people refer too when they recommend this product but I figured I would try for myself anyway. 

I wanted to try a colored primer anyway because it's supposed to help make your colors more true to color. I had already tried Eden and honestly I hated that one. The pale color meant I had to be careful to apply color to all my shadow so that none of the primer poked through and appeared ashy. Which doesn't fit in with my five minute morning face. If I have more time, it's better.

I found the same to be true for the MAC paint pot. I really need to be careful to place shadow over it. And I find instead of my shades looking more vivid, sometimes the color appeared to be more...muted. Which I don't like at all. 

Putting it on is pretty easy though, I just apply with my fingers and blend in. It goes on surprisingly pigmented and un-streaky. Since it's a cream I hate how random stuff you don't want to get stuck in it, get's stuck in it. Not cute.

As far as longevity, it doesn't beat my Too Faced. After a couple of hours it really starts to fade and sometimes crease. Matte shadows wear a little better I find though. I actually tested it with one eye paint pot and the other eye Too Faced Shadow Insurance and the Too Faced side was easier to blend and lasted much longer.
You can kind of see how faded the purple looks on the left eye with the Paint Pot vs. the right eye with the Too Faced Shadow insurance. 

It just doesn't work that well for me. You may have a different experience if you have a different complexion or if your eyes aren't as oily. I've seen it on medium skin with yellow undertones and it made an immediate different as far as color correcting for the eyelids. For me....not so much.

I'm not a fan.

Random: I try to drink tea instead of eating something sweet at the end of the day which is why I picked up the Tazo tea in Vanilla Caramel. It tastes OK as long as it's hot with sugar and milk BUT when it's cold it tastes like Licorice. Blech. Is there anyone in the world that likes licorice? I actually googled it I wanted to know so bad. 


No comments:

Post a Comment