Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat



I've definitely been slacking when it comes to reviewing nail stuff. I don't polish my nails as often anymore...I used to do them every three days. I should definitely get back on it! I also meant to do reviews on different top coats but I never wrote the reviews!! And I went through a bottle Seche Vite, Poshe, and Out the Door. Anyway, now that I'm back in the states it's easy to get my hands on these top coats. I knew I wanted to pick up a bottle of the Seche but I thought Sally's was the only store that carried. Now, Walmart and Target have it.So I picked it up.

Seche Vite claims:

Seche Vite™ dry fast top coat is widely acknowledged as the world's finest top coat. Specially formulated to penetrate through nail lacquer to the base coat forming a single solid coating over the nail plate for a much more durable finish. Guaranteed not to yellow while leaving nails silky, stronger and resistant to chipping and peeling.  


So first off, it is pretty expensive at nearly nine dollars. I hate paying that much but at least it's made in the USA. (I like supporting products made in the US)

I was kind of surprised at the packaging. I think they changed the bottle in the last two years. It came in a box and the cap has the logo imprinted in it. Other than that it's your typical nail polish bottle.

The reason I wanted this particular top coat is because it seems to be a favorite on youtube. For awhile I was really into watching nail tutorials on youtube and nearly everyone used this. Supposedly it dries really fast and protects your nail color for at least seven days. So they say....

It's pretty easy to apply a thick layer. I don't find the brush to drag or anything and it seems decent on nail art. 

The most impressive thing is the dry time. I usually paint my nails before bed and wake up with sheet marks. Even when waiting 30 minutes before bed. It's beyond frustrating. But when I use this...my nails are dry to the touch in 3 minutes. And in only a couple more minutes it's ROCK HARD. Its definitely one to reach for when you are in a rush or even when your not.

Where it falls short is the wear time. Well, actually it depends on what nail polish you are using with it. I find it sucks with Essie...it does better with OPI. With Essie I find my nail color peels off after only a couple days and it chips. It definitely pro longs cheapie colors but not to anything absolutely amazing. Of course, this is without a base coat. Which is how I test. If you have an amazing base coat you may find you have different results. I find it wears nicely for three days before I start getting little chips. After that it chips more and more.

EDIT- Does not well with Essie at all!

It's not bad but there are more durable top coats.

I heard a lot of claims that it makes your nails look like gel nails. I don't agree with that. It dries rather thin on the nails and I've used other top coats that did a better job and giving the gel nail effect. Of course, that not a deal breaker for me but it can be for some people so I wanted to mention it. 

Another thing, this stuff stinks. But what nail polish smells good and should you be sniffing your polish? (I hear those Revlon ones smell great actually)

I hear this top coat is notorious for gooping  up about halfway through. I usually add a little thinner when that happens and I am good to go. 

Another thing I hear a lot about it polish shrinkage. I don't notice any shrinkage but you can always paint the tip of the nail and that should reduce it if that's something your top coat does. 

The most concerning thing about this top coat is the warning on the bottle about it causing birth defects or other reproductive harm in the State of California.  That is definitely concerning and probably the main reason that when I finish up the bottle I won't be buying anymore.  Of course I hear that risk is supposed to be minimal and I don't plan on having any kids but I would just rather avoid a product with such warnings on it. 

So overall, it's a decent top coat. I love how fast it dries BUT hate that it contains Toluene. I had Poshe a couple years back and LOVED it. I actually bought another bottle and after this is gone will be opening it up. I will  definitely update as to which I think is better. Stay tuned!!


Random:
I bought the Beauty Blender. It's definitely hyped up on youtube and I just want to find out it's it's worth it. Looking at it I'm like "Did I really just pay $20 for a SPONGE?".

Hmmm.






No comments:

Post a Comment