Thursday, January 8, 2015

Homemade Crunchy Granola

When I was on my health kick, one thing I bought was couple bags of was granola. My goal was to kick the sugary cereal habit I have. I love Special K with the vanilla, almonds, pecans, and all their additives, I'm addicted to Raisin Bran Crunch and so on and so forth.But...all that stuff is really not that good for you. Especially when trying to cut out more processed foods. 

I like to eat oatmeal in the morning. The old-fashioned kind. And I like to mix in my own flavors. None of that premade stuff. But sometimes you need a little variety. 

I started to buy the Bear Naked granola which is pretty good. But expensive. And usually making your own is a lot cheaper. Plus I like knowing exactly what's going in my food.

So I was thrilled to find this recipe for granola. 

Sometimes I eat it as cereal, other times I throw it in some plain greek yoghurt with some honey drizzled on top. Mmmmm. I'm sure there are more ways to use it but I was in a creative rut. 

It happens

I was surprised at how easy it is to make. And I got to add in some foods in my diet that I never eat. Pumpkin seeds, Coconut, dried cherries (yum), and golden raisins. 

It was pretty good...I made it twice and would make it again in a heart beat.

 I loved the addition of flax seeds and I have so much leftover that are perfect for adding to smoothies. Everything thing else is great for snacking straight from the bag.

I got the recipe from a blog called A Spicy Perspective and you can click here for the recipe.


Definitely one to check out if you want to make your own granola. 

No comments:

Post a Comment