Sunday, January 11, 2015

The Original Beauty Blender


I'm finally ready to review one of the most talked about sponges in the beauty world. Honestly, youtube is the only reason I even looked twice at this little sponge. When I first started using foundation in high school I definitely just used my fingers. Eventually I bought a pack of those little cosmetic wedges they sell at all drugstores. I wouldn't use those very often because I didn't like how my product got soaked up by the brush before it made it to my face. Plus, always having to purchase more (even though they last while) was not very enticing to me. Eventually I graduated to brushes (ecotools) and then more fancy ones (MAC). So using a sponge to apply my makeup seemed to be a backwards step. But I bought it anyway just to see what all the hype was about.

Beauty Blender claims:
Now you can look like a movie star without the pricey services of a major make up artist. Introducing Beautyblender, the ultimate make up sponge applicator. Invented by top Hollywood make up artist Rea Ann Silva, Beautyblender has been created to leave you with a professional finish and a flawless complexion. Silva knows that the key to a perfect face is simple: a perfect blend. So forget your fingers or sharp-edged triangular sponges, these application methods waste make up and can leave visible streaks. 
Beautyblender’s patent-pending elliptical shape makes application foolproof by allowing you to access hard-to-reach areas with stunning ease. Its suede texture is sensual to the touch and its unique curves fit the contours of your face, leaving your make up dazzling and undetectable. Beautyblender is latex free, non-allergenic and odor free.


So I ordered it for $20 from Sephora. 

And when it came I was mighty disappointed. Did I really just plunk down $20 for a SPONGE? Someone smack me. I just kept getting a sinking feeling everytime I looked at it. Honestly, I wanted to return it unused. But I decided to persevere.

So the first time, I followed the directions to a T. It almost doubles in size. I learned very quickly to dot the foundation on my face instead of picking it up off the side of my hand to apply with the sponge. I feel like it wastes a lot of product using it the other way. 

Here's what I noticed: I'm currently using Smashbox Studio Skin which can look a bit cakey. I noticed it cut down on the cakiness slightly when first applied but dried down almost identical to when I use it with a brush. Even so...it still did look slightly better.  I think this is because of the extra water in the sponge. I think this would benefit dry skin the most since water is hydrating.  I also noticed it blends in cream products like concealer and cream contour really nicely. 

I mean it's cool.

But would I use it on a daily basis? Nah. My every day makeup needs to be quick. Like five minutes or under quick. Getting the sponge, wetting it, wringing it, bouncing it, then cleaning it...extra time I don't want to spend. When I'm taking my time and if I'm using a cream contour, I really enjoy using it. But does it do anything my fingers can't? Not really.

I didn't buy the cleaner because I was already pretty upset at the markup this product has and I can think of better things to spend my money on. But I do clean it regularly. And unfortunately mine stained. I'm pretty disappointed given this sponge is $20. It should return to just as pink as the day I bought it. I'm sure it depends on the products you use though because I have seen youtube vids where women were able to clean it and it looked just like new. I do notice a lot of pink dye coming out when I wash it...which was another thing that bothered me. 

One thing I do want to talk about in this review...you really must take care of it. If you don't clean it properly it can be a breeding ground for bacteria and mold. Make sure you clean it and let it dry where it will get a lot of air. You don't want to be using a moldy sponge on your face. And I have read about it happening. I do want to mention it comes in black which I don't recommend for the simple fact that if it does mold you won't be able to see it. 

As for the lifespan...they recommend three months before you replace it. I absolutely do NOT have the money to replace a $20 sponge every three months. I have read of someone that had hers for two years though. The bacteria thing concerns me so I will just make sure to monitor my skin when I use it and if I notice any breakouts from it I will throw it out.  I probably will have this for more than three months though because I only use it once a week..if that.

When checking out the sight they do ask consumer's to recycle it. Which I wouldn't mind doing if they would do their part and pay the postage. Since they don't, I will probably be a horrible person and chuck it in the garbage. 


Overall, it's OK to me. I won't be running out to repurchase it and I do need to purchase some of the disposable ones to compare them to. I would probably have more enthusiasm for the product if it were cheaper. $20 is just plain excessive. I may be willing to pay around $8-12....but no more than that.

And beware of fakes. There seem to be a ton of fakes floating around eBay and amazon. So if you really want to try it I recommend buying it from a reputable source.

I think that about covers it. 

Thanks for reading! What's your opinion? Like it? Love it? Can't live without it? 


No comments:

Post a Comment