Thursday, March 12, 2015

Italian Wedding Soup

Last week it was winter time (snow and all) and now it's all melting and spring seems to be here at last. Last week the weather was perfect for soup, and make soup was what I did. 

I'm not a big fan of canned soups- I prefer homemade. But I have tried a few canned soups- Italian Wedding being one of them. It was OK. As always it could use some actual flavor. 

So when I came across this recipe I was kind of excited.

Italian wedding sounds like it would have a rich history behind it. I really like reading the history of foods. Is that weird? I didn't really find anything interesting on the soup but apparently there have been a couple of actual weddings that have featured this soup. 

I actually like making soups from scratch. Except making stock. I haven't done that but I think now might be a good time to start. I used Better Than Bouillon to make chicken stock and while it tastes good it gives me a headache. I'm pretty sure it's because of MSG (naturally occurring they say). I had an evil 12 hour headache.

Another thing when I was looking at the recipe I thought it had an awful lot of meat. One pound of chicken and another pound of meat for the meat balls. I was tempted to leave out the chicken but added it and I'm glad. Plus protein is good for you! Keeps you nice and full!

I've never actually made meatballs. I very rarely eat them In fact I think the last time I had them was about five years ago. These were really good though. Not the meatballs I remember hating when I was younger.

I used Asiago cheese instead of parmesan but I don't think it changed the taste significantly.

Overall, I really liked this soup. And I think I've gotten over my fear of boiled meat- which has never appealed to me. 

Definitely try it. It makes a ton- but that's Ok. It tastes better as leftovers over the next couple of days. 

I got the recipe from Brown Eyed Baked Baker. Click here for the recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment