Monday, June 8, 2015

Five Things About Facebook That Irritate Me

I just finished reading J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye and I was just trying to imagine a modern day Holden Caulfield. Can you imagine Holden Caulfield having a Facebook..or Twitter? He would be calling "phonies" out left and right. This post isn't necessarily about "phonies" just things that irritate me on social media, mostly Facebook. 

1. People that upload "selfies" everyday- Sometimes they upload selfies multiple times a day...and it's annoying. It screams "narcissist" to me. No one needs to see that many photos of you. The worst thing? Many of the offenders take the same selfie over and over and over again. Same pose, same expression, same everything.

And those people that try to disguise the narcissism by adding a "message" with it. Because you can't say Good morning, Good night, Happy Monday, or Happy Wednesday without a selfie. 

Or...can you?



2. People that write personal messages for the world to see!- This super irritates me. Because it's so phony. Yes, phony! For instance, "someone" I know that wrote a nice status to his mother on Mother's Day about how thankful he was to her and how much he loved her. Said person hadn't talking to this very same mother in at least six months. Maybe more. And definitely not on Mother's Day. And she wasn't in his Facebook friends either. 


If you want to thank someone, do so on THEIR wall or write a private message to them. Please and thank you!

Example: Just want to thank my wonderful husband for the flowers and necklace he bought me on Valentine's! You are my rock and always there for me in hard times. I'm so grateful that I get to wake up by your side each and everyday! I love you forever and ever and always!

Um....notice how in the example the person used the word "you". You means it's to a single person...why post it on Facebook for the world to see. Seriously...if you want to brag than brag!

3. People that have convo's on Facebook...with people they LIVE with- You know those people that can't live a day without tagging their boo, significant other, etc.  I think they mostly do that because they want others to know who that person belongs to. I guess. I can just imagine them sitting on opposite ends of the couch, finding a vid they want to share...but instead of actually sharing it with them they go on Facebook and tag them or put the vid on their wall. Seriously? Sounds dysfunctional if you ask me. 



4. Overusing Hashtags- How many hashtags do you really need? - If you are over the age of 16 and use a million hashtags in one post...STOP IT! By 16 (or even younger), we should all be able to express a complete thought without the use of hashtags. I don't have a problem with an occasional one every now and then for emphasis but should your post look like this.



I love Hashtags #unnecessary but I look so cool #can't form a complete sentence #act like I'm still in junior high #your so lame # jealous I use hashtags aren't you? #you only live once, better jump on it
# if not they will think your lame too #and on and on and on

Yeah, OK.


5. Mundane Updates- I know this girl that updates EVERYTHING she does. No kidding.

Her statuses look like this:

Just woke up, about the eat some breakfast.
On the way to work...got stuck in traffic...bored!
Lunch break, bout to eat this salad.
Home now, tired. Cooking dinner now
Getting the workout in
Is about to get in her bed, exhausted

People like her is the reason I love that Unfollow button so much. I've added a ton of people to my unfollow list. Everybody does not need to know EVERYTHING about your life. Really!

Those are just five things...there are ton more things that irritate me but we'll save that for another day. I really wish someone would do a book on some of these people I pointed out. I've seen a couple studies, for instance men that upload a lot of selfies have psychopathic tendencies. I love studies like that but there definitely should be more studies. 


2 comments: