Thursday, July 9, 2015

Alaffia Sandalwood Ylang Ylang Shea Butter Soap


The bugs are eating me alive. And it's not fun because I'm the type of person that scratches when it itches. I use to scratch my bug bites so much when I was younger that they would scab and eventually bleed. Luckily I only got them when I was visiting South Carolina. But apparently Maryland has mosquitos too. And they aren't just normal mosquito bites. They swell like crazy! Anyway, let me stop going on and on about mosquitos and get reviewing.

Alaffia claims:
Alaffia balances science with tradition to holistically benefit your body, communities, and the environment. Our long-lasting triple milled Certified Fair Trade shea butter soap with calming sandalwood and ylang ylang leaves skin feeling soft & sumptuous.

This is my first Alaffia product...but let me just say I like the brand already. Alaffia is a fair trade brand and per their packaging they have distributed 6300 bikes to students, funded over 3000 births, and planted over 40000 trees. All since 2006. I love brands like that!

But let's talk about the soap. 

It comes in really cute paper packaging. Which is easy to recycle. So yay for that. The actual soap is orange (my fave color). And it's colored naturally. 


I picked it up because the scent sounded nice to me (and it was on sale for $2.99). I was going to choose either this or the raspberry one but this sounded more unique so I went with this one. To be honest, I was disappointed in the scent. It just smells like "essential oils." I can't really pick out sandalwood or ylang ylang. Plus the scent is pretty light when you lather it up.

If you like faint scents this might be for you but personally I like stronger scents.

As for the soap...it cleans well and has great lather. Plus it leaves my skin pretty soft. Although some spots could use a little extra moisture!

It is french or triple milled. I don't find french milled soaps to last much longer than any other type of soap just the lather is a bit richer. 

As for ingredients they are pretty natural. Except for Sodium Citrate.  I don't know what that is and I did google it! 


Ingredients:
 Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Water, Glycerin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Natural Fragrance, Sodium Citrate, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Beta Carotene. *Certified Fair for Life - Social & Fair Trade by IMO.

Overall, it was just Ok for me. I'm really impressed with the company though and will definitely be trying some of their other products. 

No comments:

Post a Comment