Sunday, July 5, 2015

Aura Cacia Tamanu Oil



Continuing on with my all natural skin care, I decided to pick out another oil to use as moisturizer. There are about a million different oils out there and currently Argan seems to be the most popular. But I wanted to try something that was not as well known. I had never heard of Tamanu oil before I saw the little bottle in my local health store for about $13.

Aura Cacia claims:
Aura Cacia 100% pure organic tamanu oil is sustainably sourced from the nuts of the tamanu tree. Emerald green tamanu oil promotes healthy skin. Tamanu oil contains a dense array of powerful antioxidant essential fatty acids and is indispensable for promoting the vibrancy of the skin.


Tamanu oil originates in Southeast oil and is pressed from the Tamanu fruit. It was used to promote skin healing and is said to be particularly good for acne and diaper rash. This particular oil originates in Vietnam. 

Personally, I am a complete sucker for an "exotic" oil. 

The oil itself is a very thick, almost sticky, light green oil. The scent takes some getting used to. It kind of smells like butterscotch. But not a sweet butterscotch. A very earthy, almost unpleasant butterscotch scent. I personally don't mind the scent too much though.

It is pretty hydrating. It doesn't cause any acne but I'm not sure it would prevent it either. I've been using it for over a month and still get an occasional spot. I didn't find it had any miracle healing powers on any of my scars. They healed the same as always and still left a mark behind.

I tried using it under my eyes...because I also read somewhere that it's supposed to anti-aging. I found it made my eyes pretty watery, like it needs to be diluted before I put it under my eyes. As for anti-aging, I haven't noticed any new lines forming so that's good.

The best thing about the oil is that since using it my skin is nowhere near as oily as it used to be. I use it only at night. I wouldn't put this under makeup because of how thick it is.  It is pretty hydrating on my skin and after applying it I do feel my skin looks very healthy. 

For reference, I have oily/combination skin. I'm not too sure if would be hydrating enough if you have dry skin but it couldn't hurt to try. 

I hear that's it's supposed to be great for the hair and scalp. I will probably purchase a bottle a little later on and mix it into some Shea Butter and use as a hair and body butter. 

It is certified organic. Personally I don't really care if my skincare is certified organic but I don't mind it either. 

I love that it's a simple product. One ingredient, nothing harmful. Just 100% Tamanu oil.


Overall, I do like it. It's not perfect but it does the job. I would recommend it if you have oily skin and the scent doesn't bother you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment