Sunday, July 12, 2015

Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curling Gel Souffle with Agave Nectar and Flax Seed Oi


I've been talking about using all natural hair products FOREVER and I am finally using them. Shea Moisture is a pretty popular (mostly) natural brand and I've tried a couple products from them. These days it seems like they have a TON of products out. Which can be a little overwhelming. I've tried the smoothie product from this same line and really liked it so I figured I would try other products from the line. I got this for $10 but if you keep an eye out for sales you can get a better deal.

Shea Moisture claims:
SheaMoisture's Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Gel Soufflé for thick, curly hair defines and promotes curls with a soft, smooth finish. This all natural styling aid moisturizes and conditions while leaving hair with a frizz-free, brilliant shine.

Coconut Oil - hydrates and protects while reducing frizz. Agave Nectar - delivers soft hold and body with a smooth after-feel. Flax Seed Oil - rich in Omega-3 essential fatty acids. Flax Seed Oil promotes strength while imparting shine. 

Usage

Apply sparingly on wet or dry hair. Comb through with a wide tooth comb or fingers to shape curls. For tight colis, kinky or wiry hair, or for twist out styles apply to wet hair for maximum control and sealing properties. Allow time to dry. When using a blow dryer choose a cool setting. Apply to dry hair to reduce flyaways and frizz.




So first off, this is not your typical gel. It is very runny and liquid-y! It comes in a 12 oz container so you do get a decent amount for the price.

I'm not a fan of the smell. It's like sour coconuts. I don't like "sour" scents in my hair at all so that's a no go for me. It's odd because the other products in the line I have tried don't smell like that at all.

As for a wash and go it's OK. It gives you a little shine, some moisture, and light hold. As long you don't use too much it shouldn't be too sticky. I absolutely cannot use this on dry hair because of the stickiness.

I tried it for a twist out and was not happy at all. The product has some "grit" in it that looks like dandruff. It's not an attractive look. I tried to write the company and was very dissatisfied with their customer service. My first message wasn't answered until about two weeks later. I wrote them again three days after the first message and got an answer in two days...basically they said because they use natural ingredients some products are gritty. The response came off like "We really don't care if you are dissatisfied with the product. Too bad for you".  The grittiness is a quality control issue and they need to work on that!

I almost forgot to add the twist out was frizzy. I don't get a frizzy wash and go but the twists end up frizzy and sticky.

I do really like that the ingredients are all natural. I also like that the company engages in fair trade and their products are cruelty free.

Ingredients:
Aqueous Infusion of Agave Teqilana Leaf Extract and Sugar Cane Extract, Pectin, Vegetable Glycerin, Adansonia Digitata Pulp(Baobab) Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract*, Tocopherol (Vitamin E - Vegetable Oil Source), Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed/Flax) Seed Extract, Hibiscus Sabdariffa Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Proprietary Essential Oil Blend *Certified Organic Ingredient


Overall, this product was fine as long as I applied it in small amounts for a wash a go. Add a little more and I had "dandruff" looking pieces in it especially in a twist out. And the fact that I didn't really like the scent...this product just was not for me. Plus their customer service needs some work. I will probably be taking a nice little break from their products. 

No comments:

Post a Comment