Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Afrikan Republic Lavender Infused Shea Butter

I love Shea Butter...and these last couple of years you can find it everywhere, and in almost everything. I prefer the 100% natural stuff- no added fillers at all! I bought this awhile ago when African Republik was having a 20% off sale and I think I also got free shipping. When all was said and done I ended up paying $8. The regular price on it is $12. 

Afrikan Republik:
Afrikan Republic's wonderful Light & Creamy Shea Butter is now available infused with the delightful scent of Lavender Essential Oil.

The last review I did from this company was their Vanilla Shea Butter-which I loved- but I had a couple of complaints about the website. I like that they are improving BUT I still don't think I would order again. They are selling the 2 oz scented shea butters for $8 now which I think is pretty ridiculous. In fact, like I mentioned the price on this was $12, it has now jumped to nearly $20, which is completely ridiculous. Especially when you consider it's not fair trade certified or any of that good stuff! I have a local store that supplies scented Shea Butter that IS fair trade, you get more for your money, and it's scented too!

Anyway, let me get on with the review.

I loved the scent of the Lavender Vanilla and the plain Vanilla. Of the three I've tried this is my least favorite. To be honest, I'm just not a fan of pure Lavender scent, although I am liking it a bit better than I used to. It smells exactly like Lavender essential oil...and unrefined Shea Butter. But the Lavender overpowers the Shea scent when you use it. But it doesn't stick around like the Vanilla Shea Butter, I smell it when I'm rubbing it in and then it's gone.

It's basically a hard butter that is a little bit harder than regular Shea- I think due to the the addition of the essential oil. It can be hard to scoop out...and you have to warm it up in the palm of your hards before you apply it. It is also a bit harder to spread on the skin than your traditional lotions and creams. I don't mind but it is something to consider. It's definitely not for everyone!

I love Shea Butter though and use it for a bunch of different things-body moisturizer, on cuticles, facial moisturizer (especially lovely before going to bed because of the lavender scent), and in my hair. I do prefer the yellow Shea butter for my hair, this seems to leave my hair soft yet kinda frizzy. But it performs all these tasks and does it well. My skin is left completely moisturized until I wash it off.

It's all natural. There is only Shea Butter and Lavender oil. It doesn't get any simpler than that. 

It comes in a regular plastic tub- which is another reason I'm dismayed at the price. If you are gonna mark up the product at least have some fancy packaging. Not that I would buy it for the packaging...you get the point!


It is decent but at the current price I would not recommend it to anyone! You can get plain Shea Butter from other companies at much better prices and add your own essential oil. I will use it up- but I won't be purchasing from Afrikan Republic again, and I recommend you don't either!

No comments:

Post a Comment