Thursday, October 29, 2015

Jane Carter Nourish and Shine Review



So I finally finished watching American Horror Story: Freak Show. And let me just say, I was pretty disturbed by Dandy. And by disturbed, I mean horrified, disgusted, etc.  If I ever saw the actual actor (of course not likely!) I would RUN in the other direction. There is no way he's not just a little bit crazy. He did that part too well! But most of the actors on that show are extremely talented. I can't wait to watch the new season but I'm not going to watch it until it's over.  I just can't take the suspension. But I think I will re-watch the second season for Halloween. Anyway, let me stop babbling and get on with the review. 

Jane Carter claims:
Jane Carter Solution nourish and shine can help give you silky-soft and healthy-looking hair. It has natural butters, vitamins and essential oils to help moisture your scalp and hair. This solution easily applies with your hair, without leaving it greasy. Sodium lauryl sulfate, paraben and alcohol free.

I have wanted to try this product for years. I remember seeing it years and years ago in a magazine. Maybe Essence? For some reason the product stuck with me. A couple years back I remember seeing it in Target, and Sally's Beauty Supply has it too. It is very expensive at $22 for only four ounces. I didn't decide to get it until I saw it at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and I had a 20% off coupon. It was still expensive at $17 but at least I got something off. (I just checked Target and the current price is $15.99..Drat!)

The first couple of time I just put it in my hair to moisturize my wash n go. A little bit goes a long way, you really don't need much. And it does feel moisturizing BUT the moisture doesn't last. A couple of hours later, my hair just feels normal. Maybe a little drier on the ends. Adding an oil on top helps...but of course when I test it out for review, I want to see how the product does on it's own. It doesn't add any definition to my hair....and I don't notice any extra shine.

Lately, since I've been twisting my hair more, I decided to try it in a twist out. It added quite a bit of shine while my hair was in twists, and I was super excited to take it down. I haven't mastered my twist outs...and this product didn't really help me get there. My hair was very frizzy and didn't come out very defined. I was disappointed every time I used it to twist. And I tried it a couple different ways....letting my hair dry with it on and then twisting, and also adding it to individual sections. No matter what I tried I always ended up with the same results. 

I almost forgot to talk about the scent and texture. It kind of reminds me of Shea Butter. And it smells very "green" and natural. I don't like the scent, but I also don't dislike it. It doesn't stick around long anyway. 

You can use it as a body lotion...but it's just too expensive for me to use it that way although it did make my hands ridiculously soft.

The ingredients are pretty nice. I do see where the price is a bit higher BUT I still think it's overpriced. It's mostly Shea Butter...with some fancy butters thrown in. Theres Kokum, Illipe, and Mango Butters. Only one ingredients gives me pause. That would be the hydrogenated polyisobutene.  I'm not sure what that is, but it doesn't sound too good.

Ingredients:
  • Butyrospermum Parki (Shea) Butter, Garcinia Indic (Kokum) Butter, Shorea Stenoptera (Illippe) Butter, Mangifera Indic (Mango) Butter, Citrus Limo (Lemon)*, Citrus Grandi (Grapefruit)*, Citrus Reticulat (Sweet Orange)*, Glycine Soja (Soy) Oil, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene (Squalene), Fragrance. *Essential Oils


I also wanted to note that my container lists the ingredients a bit different. The above list is what it looks like on the website, while the picture below shows the ingredients the way they are listed on my container. Jane needs to get her story straight!

Overall, it wasn't that great in my hair. I can get plain ol' Shea Butter for a better price and it works a lot better in my hair. Have you tried anything from Jane Carter? Did you like it?

See? No definition. 


No comments:

Post a Comment