Friday, November 13, 2015

Etta James



I'm one of those people that loves the idea of loving jazz music but I just don't know much about it. If I could find someone really knowledgeable to school me, I would love it. I have a couple of jazz songs...but I really need to expand my collection. Etta James is one of my favorite jazz singers. Thought she did dabble in all types of music.

Before I started listening to Etta's music, I knew absolutely nothing about her. Except the At Last song because of the Dove chocolate commercials from a couple years back. Then I remember when Cadillac Records came out. I refused (and still do) to watch it because I was disappointed they chose Beyonce to play her. Watching her try to act is painful. And without even seeing the movie, I just don't feel she would have been able to do Miss James justice.

Anyway, I started to listen to some of her songs and fell in love! Where has her music been all my life?  

This is my essential Etta James playlist. If you are in the mood for some smooth jazz, blues, and rock and roll, check them out!

Sunday Kind Of Love- This song has been covered by tons of people. But there's magic in Etta's version. Well, there's magic in a lot of her songs.
All I Could Do Was Cry- This one I knew because Beyonce' redid it. But her version has nothing on Etta's. Nothing.
Stormy Weather- Another standard. Her version is my favorite.
Trust In Me
At Last- I've heard a couple remakes...no one can even come close to singing it as well as Etta.
I Just Wanna Make Love To You- My Jam.
Something's Gotta Hold On Me- I feel like I've heard this song in a lot of movies...but I had no idea who sung it. I'm glad I know now.


Fool That I Am- Love her voice in this.
Don't Cry Baby
Tell Mama-Love it!! And check out that eyeliner....


I'd Rather Go Blind- Another one Beyonce' unsuccessfully covered. No one can touch it. Love this song.

Writing this post just made me fall in love with her music all over again. Definitely check her out!




No comments:

Post a Comment