Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Brown Rice Pasta With Tuna, Olives, Fried Capers

Every now and again I like to try something different. I have an scrapbook app that I save different recipes I've clipped from Self magazine. This was one of them. I'm pretty sure it's Gwyneth Paltrow recipe...and I tried although I have reservations about whether she can really cook or not. 

This recipe introduced a lot of things that aren't normally part of my diet. I don't remember ever trying capers or anchovies, especially not in a pasta salad. 

So I was skeptical but still tried it anyway. This was...OK. But it's not something I would ever make again. I did kind of mess up the recipe because I bought sardines instead of anchovies. Speaking of the little fish in a can- they are incredibly healthy if you can find the low salt variety. They are high in protein and have lots of Omega 3 in them. They are easy to eat on the go- and low in calories. And they aren't bad. So while I discovered I like fish in the tins, I also discovered I don't like capers. I'm not sure if its the brand I got- but they are salty and just plain weird. But they don't stand out too much in the dish. I'm also not the biggest fan of parsley for whatever reason. 


This was my first recipe for brown rice pasta- which tastes surprisingly good. I didn't use the brand specified but I don't think that matters much. 

I've never cooked a can of tuna either. It was kind of strange tasting, and I'm not sure I would want to do it again.

Frying up the capers-that never got crispy!

Tuna mixture cooking-it really doesn't look very appetizing! 

And the finished dish!

Again, it was edible but....just not that great tasting. It's a healthy recipe- so that was its only redeeming factor. I won't be seeking out Gwyneth's recipe book...but if you would like the recipe click this link!

No comments:

Post a Comment