Monday, February 8, 2016

Miss Jessie's Stretch Silkening Creme Review




Ahh, Miss Jessie's. I'm not a fan of the company. Mostly because the ingredients don't justify the price. But not only that, I don't like how they market their products to be able to attain a certain type of curl- when really they use something called a "silkener", which is basically a relaxer. I did try their Best Darn Curling Creme a couple years ago and if you take the time to really comb it through section by section, you can get nice curl definition. I still think it's overpriced though.

 I didn't buy this jar- I actually got it from my sister. She goes to Howard University (you go girl!), and they gave it away free in a gift basket. So I decided to try it out and review it. Why not?

Miss Jessie's claims:
ntroducing Stretch Silkening Crème, an amazing addition to our ever expanding curl crème empire. "How's it different from the rest?" I'll tell you. Stretch Silkening Crème is a quicker to dry whipped soufflé that delivers an amazing plump curl and a brilliant shine. Fabulous for Fingerstyling. The lightest of the curl crème bunch. P.S. This is not Miko's chemical Silkener technique offered exclusively at Miss Jessie's Salon in NYC. 
Instructions for use: Apply product while hair is soaking wet for full coverage based on your length and density. Do not rinse out. Air dry or dry under an overhead dryer. For maximum stretch silkening: After curls are fully dried grab a section and stretch downward for tension. Using a blowdryer with a nozzle attachment blast heat from root to midshaft. This will further stretch those kinks to curls. Enjoy! 
Great for: Wavy, Curly, Tight Curly, Kinky and Transitioners.
For Kinky hair textures best to apply a base of Baby Buttercreme or Curly Buttercreme with this product for additional softness.



Before I really started looking into the brand, this was one of the products I wanted to try. I used to watch their tutorials way before I ever went natural and was convinced I needed the products. But my wallet told me otherwise, which is why I never tried it until years later. Then after not being impressed with what I did try, I just forgot about the brand.

I first tried using it as a wash and go. And I got about as much curl definition as anything else would give me. And lots of shrinkage.

I tried it as a braid out. And again, I got lot's of shrinkage. It was kind of defined. No extra shine. But I get better results when I used Fantasia IC gel, so I would go for that over this stuff!

Lastly, I tried it how they recommend it. Smoothing it on section by section. Most of my hair didn't even group into curls...it just became a frizzy mess. And so much shrinkage! My hair wasn't elongated at all. For reference, my hair is 4a with some random 3C in the back. It did work better on the 3C hair though. I was able to get some curl definition but that was because I used it with my Denman brush. I honestly get the same result brushing through my hair with cheapo conditioner.

It's not a moisturizing product- but it's not too drying. It does feel drying going on though.

The texture of it is kind of similar to cottage cheese. Unlike the other one, I actually like the scent on this one. It kind of smells like the Mixed Chicks line (another brand I'm not a fan of either!). Sort of fresh and bubble bath like. Depending on how much you use it really sticks around too, which I like.

The ingredients is one of the things I don't like about Miss Jessie's. There is a high price tag...but where are the high quality ingredients? The main ingredients is mineral oil. And mineral oil is one of the cheapest ingredients ever! It has some decent ingredients, but they are in very small amounts and they are usually the same ingredients you find in $5-10 products. Miss Jessie's charges $22 for 8 oz or $38 for 16 oz. Way overpriced.

Ingredients:
Water (Aqua, Eau), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum, Huile Minerale), Glycerin, Acrylic Acid/VP Crosspolymer, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Fragrance (Parfum), Aminomethyl Propanol, DMDM Hydantoin, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Glycine Soya (Soybean) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Oleth-5, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Disodium EDTA, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Linalool, Wheat Amino Acids, Sodium Chloride, Hexyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Salicylate, Limonene, Citronellol, Red 40 (CI 16035), Yellow 10 (C1 47005)


Almost forgot- I do really like the packaging. And it isn't tested on animals. Plus it's made the the USA.

I wasn't impressed. I would go for the original curly pudding over this product. But I didn't like that much either! Still not a fan of the brand.

Have you tried anything from Miss Jessie's? What's your favorite from them? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment