Thursday, February 4, 2016

Nubian Heritage Patchouli and Buriti Soap with Rose Hips Review


Years and years ago I was on a mission to try out all of the Nubian Heritage soaps and review them. It took me awhile but I eventually did it. I first found the soaps in my local beauty supply store. I was really impressed with natural ingredients and I loved that it was a black owned company. It doesn't have the stamp on it anymore saying it's black owned so I assumed it was sold and is no longer black owned. I was on the website awhile ago and noticed that they added a new soap. Once my local health store had it on sale I picked it up for $3.30. A little higher than what I used to get it for back in the day but still better than paying full price.

Nubian Heritage claims:
Nubian Heritage's unique blend of Buriti Oil, moisturizing Shea Butter and Rose Hip Seed Oil in our sustainable soap base provides a fragrant, soothing and hydrating cleanser.

Sweet, spicy, aphrodisiacal Patchouli essential oil is known for its beneficial effect on oily or maturing skin and hair. Relaxing, uplifting and soothing, Patchouli complements the Amazonian beauty secret, Buriti oil. The Buriti palm, known as “the tree of life”, provides food as well as a traditional treatment for skin ailments. Buriti oil’s high Beta-carotene, Vitamin E and Vitamin C content works with essential fatty acids to support collagen production and anti-oxidants while hydrating and comforting the skin.

So I'll start off with the scent, which I love. It's kind of powdery, soft, and spicy at the same time and reminds me of soaps like Lush Snowcake and a random pistachio soap I had awhile ago. I really love the scent and sometimes I can smell it lingering in the bathroom. It even lingers on my skin a little bit, but for some reason I don't like the scent it leaves so I cover it up with lotion.

It has a nice lather. It's not too drying- it might even be a tad moisturizing. I can usually skip lotion with no problems. And it makes me feel extra clean.

Oh and it's even cruelty free!

Sounds amazing right?

Except for one thing, since I've used their soaps in the past and they were all natural I assumed this would be too. I didn't check the ingredients until I got home. The last two ingredients are Tetrasodium EDTA and Tetrasodium Etidronate, which are ingredients I avoid in soaps, lotions, etc. I'm not sure why they would add those when they previously had a whole collection of soaps that were completely natural.

I do like that it contains buriti oil- The Body Shop has a baby line of products containing buriti oil. My computer keeps auto-correcting it to burrito oil. Glad it doesn't contain that! It also has rosehip seed oil which I've recently become a fan of as a facial moisturizer.  

Ingredients.
100% Vegetable Oil Soap Base, Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Water (Aqua), Glycerin (Vegetable), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Mauritia Flexuosa (Buriti) Fruit Oil, Pogostemon Cablin (Patchouli) Leaf Extract, Rosa Centiflora Flower Extract, Rosa Canina (Rose Hip) Seed Oil, Palmitic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend), Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate *Certified Organic Ingredient

I would love this soap if it weren't for those two ingredients. But since it does contain them, it's kind of a deal breaker for me. I do love the scent though, so if I found other products in the line that were all natural I would give them a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment