Monday, July 18, 2016

Afrikan Republic Light and Creamy Shea Butter





Shea Butter is definitely one of my favorite all natural all over moisturizers. I love when it's included in other products and I love it on it's own. It works for hair, skin, just anywhere and for anything. Over the years I reviewed a couple different Shea Butters, mostly from the African Republic website. When I first found that website I wanted to try everything. But now I'm pretty sure this will be the last product I ever review from them. Mostly because of their price. I bought this Shea Butter a couple years ago for around $8 on sale.


Afrikan Republic claims:
African Republic Light and Creamy Shea Butter from Ghana is a high quality shea butter that rubs easily into the skin and hair, effectively fighting dryness ,ashy skin, eczema, psoriasis, wrinkles, and the effects of aging.


There are two types of Shea Butter on the market. Light Beige, White (refined), and yellow (mixed with palm oil). This is the beige one. I hate refined Shea Butter, and I do like the yellow variety for my hair because it's a bit more oily. This one is the beige Shea. It has a little grit to it, but it melts easier when you rub it in your hands. It's softer in the summer and a little harder to work with in colder months. It's definitely softer than the ones they sell that have fragrance like the vanilla and the lavender. This one is unscented but definitely has the "shea butter" smell. Kind nutty and a little smoky.  I'm used to the scent now, and anyway it dissipates quickly. You can always melt it down and add a little fragrance to it yourself if you aren't a fan of the scent. 

I use it for my hair. It's not as greasy as the yellow, but pure Shea Butter is one of the best things I have ever put in my hair for moisture. And it also helps curl definition for me. I usually use it on damp hair. I still prefer the yellow variety just because I feel is holds the moisture in my hair the entire day. By the end of the day with this one my hair isn't dry, but doesn't feel as moisturized as it could. 

I use it as facial moisturizer. I feel like Shea Butter helps with acne, scarring, and moisture. I just love the way my face looks when I use Shea Butter on it. Sometimes I mix it with whatever oil I'm using at the time. 

I also use it as an all over body moisturizer. Nothing makes skin softer. Although it can take a little longer to absorb than most commercially available moisturizers. Just remember a little goes a long way. Its great for any rough spots and can moisturize the driest skin. 

Shea Butter is also great for eczema, psoriasis, and sunburns. If you have fresh Shea Butter, it even has a natural SPF of 10 so it can add a little natural sun protection to the skin. 

I do really like this Shea Butter, and I did really like the brand. But their prices have gone up so much. You can buy the same if not better quality from other companies for a better price...and some are even fair trade! I think they changed the name of this Shea Butter to Afrikan Republic Virgin White Shea Butter but I'm not 100% certain on that. The price is now $15.90 for 8 oz. Alaffia has Fair Trade Shea Butter for $11.99 for 11 oz. on Iherb. That's $1.99 an ounce for African Republic versus $1.09 and ounce for Alaffia. Their prices just aren't competitive enough for me to recommend them or continue purchasing from them. 

So I still love Shea Butter, just not from this brand. Another brand to stay away from for Shea Butter is Now brand. Afrikan Republic has the worst prices and Now has the worst quality Shea Butter. 


Have you tried Shea Butter, where do you order from?

No comments:

Post a Comment