Monday, September 26, 2016

DIY Scented Oils




If I had known scenting oils was as easy as it is, I would have started a long time ago. After you get all the ingredients, it literally takes seconds.

Here's what I do:
Sweet Almond Oil 16 oz from Natures Garden for $3.99

1. Grab Your Oil- You can use any oil you want. Sweet Almond, Apricot, Walnut, Argan. You can use them straight, or you can mix them. I used Sweet Almond and threw a little Walnut in. Usually I add a bit of Castor Oil, but it slipped my mind this time. I use a brown glass container. If you are using essential oils to scent it, it's best to go for glass. If you are using fragrance oil, you can use plastic. 


2. Grab You Scented Oils- Like I mentioned you can use essential oils or you can just use fragrance oil. I prefer essential oils, because some of them have additional benefits to them. For example, Eucalyptus oil helps with muscles aches and soreness. Just try to stay away from citrus oils if you will be using during the day because they are photosensitive. Also make sure you research to check on dilution ratios. This go round I mixed Eucalyptus with Grapefruit. I got a bright, citrusy scent. And it really does help with aches and pains.  Each oil has it's own properties, for instance Lavender is great for stress relief, Tea Tree is great for acne, and Frankincense is great for wrinkles.



You can also scent with fragrance oils. They come in a wide range of scents and are cheaper than essential oils. Just make sure you check the dilution ratios. You can get fragrance oils in most craft stores, order online, and I've even seen a few in Walmart. The don't have the benefits of essential oils, and the downside is you have no idea what ingredients are in them because they are "trade secrets". It's up to you what you want to use, I prefer essential oil.


3. Mix it all up.- Give it a good shake! And give it a sniff to see if you like it! I find with most oils they need to settle a couple days, then I will sniff and adjust accordingly. This time it was perfect, but I think I would add Lavender next time and see how that turns out. 


Making your own scented oils is all about experimentation. But it's great because you can customize and make exactly what you like! You can use it as a massage oil, or just a regular old body moisturizer. The best thing about it, is you know exactly what you used. 


Would you mix your own oils? What scents would you mix up? 

Let me know in the comments!

Random: Made another batch of cannoli, this time with Ricotta Cheese. Last time I made them with Mascarpone. I think next time I would mix Mascarpone and Ricotta to get the best of both worlds.

Mmmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment