Thursday, September 8, 2016

NARS Gina Blush Review



I have completely mastered puff pastry. Yesterday I made apple turnovers with homemade puff pastry that were to die for. And this coming from a girl that is not even a big fan of apple turnovers. Their butter content is ridiculous (lots and lots of fat!), and yet I still ate two. They were that good. I only made four. Summer heat and puff pastry dough are mortal enemies. But I plan on making them again this weekend. I can hardly wait, but while I'm waiting, I thought I would do a quick review. Pass a little time.

NARS claims:
Matte Tangerine
The ultimate authority in blush, NARS offers the industry's most iconic shades for cheeks. Natural, healthy-looking color that immediately enlivens the complexion. A light application of even the highest-intensity hues delivers a natural-looking flush.
  • Silky texture in matte and shimmering shades
  • Micronized powder ensures soft, blendable application
  • Iconic NARS shades




They currently have this picture on their front page. Love it! And love her 'fro. I just had to share! 

For the most part, I'm a big fan of NARS. Their customer service could be better. But overall, I just love how NARS makes sure to represent women from all different ethnicities, skin tones, etc. From the lightest to the darkest. Which is why I went kind of crazy buying their blushes awhile ago. I passed over Gina, because I didn't think it would look nice on my skin. That is, if it even showed up. But a couple of forum posters recommending it for darker skin tones made me reconsider, and the more I looked at the swatches, the more I convinced myself that I HAD to have it. I bought it in the 20% off sale, which is a lot better than paying the retail price of $30 plus tax.



Gina is a matte coral-orange color. It's very similar to NARS Gilda blush, except that one is more pink and this is more orange. I find this to look like even more like a subtle glow because it's more orange, while Gilda stands out a bit more. Gina is a perfect color for me. It works with nearly everything. Cool purples, and blues, and especially warm bronzy colors. I really love the color, but I feel that way about nearly every orange I come across. My skin just absorbs it very well. 

It doesn't seem as pigmented as other blushes I own by them. I find I can really be liberal with it. I'm not sure if it's just my skin tone, or the actual blush though.

The texture is great too. It basically blends itself. It's very easy to work with. NARS definitely got it right with this one. 

The only problem I have with it is lasting powder. I feel like I get about 3-4 hours and then I'm wondering where it went. Did I just get used to it? Or did it wear off? I expect to get an hour or two more when the weather is cooler, but this humid heat makes the blush disappear in no time on my skin.
I had this makeup on all day, I did top up the blush a little heavy for the picture and it still doesn't show up quite like in person. Oh, well. I tried!

Almost forgot to talk packaging. It comes in sleek, slim, velvety, black packaging. And it has a very nice, although small, mirror. I know some people have issues with it getting grimy but I've some of mine for years and they look pretty good. 

NARS blushes run $30 for .16 ounces, Urban Decay is $26 for .23 ounces , and MAC is $22 for .21 ounces (cheaper in pan form!). Just for comparison. It's definitely a bit more costly than other  high end blushes. 

I love almost everything about it, I only wish it lasted longer. 

Random: Whenever I hear the "Gina" I always think of Gina (Tisha Campbell) from Martin. Then I think of this clip. Gina, Gina, Gina- in my best whiney Martin voice of course. 



Hilarious! Martin is still one of my favorite shows. 
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment