Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Muffuletta Sandwich (Princess and The Frog Recipe)


I'm thinking I might start posting the things I cook a little more often, since I have a large list of things I've made and want to get up before I completely forget them all.


Every now and again I make things from the Princess and the Frog cookbook. I LOVE the movie, and I also really love making things from the cookbook. I don't think I've run into a bad recipe yet. Most of them are rather simple, but I try to complicate them a bit by making them from scratch..as much as possible.



It called for french bread, but I found out there is such a thing as muffalette bread, but being I live in Maryland, I'm not sure where to find it. So I made it. I got the recipe for the bread from King Arthur Flour. I can't say it had a different taste, but the shape of the bread was fun. I think mine was a little bigger than the ten inches it called for. But it all tastes the same, so I wasn't too concerned with it.

  • 5 oz. jar pimiento-stuffed green olives, drained and chopped
  • 1 tomato, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, or 1 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 3 TBS olive oil
  • 2 TBS balsamic vinegar
  • ½ tsp. pepper
  • Sandwich:
  • Italian bread
  • olive oil
  • ¼ each of sliced ham, salami, Provolone, and Monterey Jack cheese.

  1. Combine all the spread ingredients in a bowl, stir.
  2. Slice bread in half, drizzle olive oil on each slice and top with sandwich ingredients and spread.
  3. Eat up!

I made the olive salad, let it sit for about an hour. Then layered the meat/cheese/olive oil/olive salad. Let it marinate in the fridge another hour. Took it out, sliced it up and ate it! It's actually one of the best sandwiches I've ever had! I was actually surprised because I made it not expecting to like it.

I didn't make the sandwich with ham/salami. Instead I used pastami/ turkey. Half my family doesn't eat pork and I wanted everyone to have some!

Check out my gigantic sandwich! This would be perfect for a picnic.


And yes, I would absolutely make it again! It was delicious, especially with the homemade bread. 




Try it out! You won't regret it- even if you use store bought bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment