Monday, December 19, 2016

Pulled Chicken Sandwich with BBQ Sauce and Coleslaw

Every now and again I really like to step outside of what I would normally pick to eat and this recipe did just that. I made hamburger buns, and BBQ sauce (for the first time) and also the pulled chicken and coleslaw completely from scratch. I used chicken because my family doesn't eat pork. And I figured chicken is a great substitute for pork anyway. 

First thing I made was the BBQ sauce. I made it the night before. It was very easy, I just threw everything in a pan and let it simmer away. I can tell you, I would make BBQ sauce again, just not this recipe. The flavor was just off. It's hard to explain, but it's not what I think of when I think of Cajun BBQ sauce. 

Then I made the chicken. The cooking time was much less than if I were using pork. I used boneless thighs, they came out OK. Not dry at all and super easy to shred. 




Some time before the chicken was done, I made the cole slaw. My favorite part of all this cooking for sure. It was sooooo good. And I don't even really like Coleslaw like that. Food Network has great recipes for Coleslaw, at least the two I've tried have been yummy. Note: I also made homemade mayo for it...that could have helped a lot too. I use just eggs and olive oil, lemon juice and some spices.


As for the buns I made those the night before too. I just used a recipe I got from King Arthur Flour. They came out amazing. I will definitely make them next time I make buns. A lot of work, but worth it I think!

I assembled it all and...ate it. And it just wasn't worth all the work. Maybe it's because I used chicken? I don't know. I just didn't like all the flavors when put together together. But I would definitely make the coleslaw again, because it was delicious. And the hamburger buns. But they weren't part of the recipe. 

I don't recommend it, but if you want to check it out for yourself, (coleslaw anyone!) click here. I got the recipe from Food Network. Try at your own risk!




No comments:

Post a Comment