Saturday, April 22, 2017

The Botanical Societies Argan Oil Review


I'm still trying to get control over my oil collection. I've done a good job of finishing up a couple, but still have more than a few left. For a minute, Argan Oil was all the rage (is it still?). I think the brand most people know is the Josie Maran one carried at Sephora.But that one is pretty expensive, it will run your $48 for only 1.7 ounces. That is a lot of money and almost anywhere you look you can find it for a much better price. My first experience with Argan oil is one that came straight from Morocco. My parents brought it back when they visited. That stuff was great. It was scented- so there was a rose one, and a jasmine one. It made my hair ridiculously soft. And it moisturized and made my skin glow. 

I wanted my own Argan oil, so I picked this up at TJ Maxx. It was 2 oz for $10. Can't beat that!

I lost the box- so unfortunately I don't know what it said. And they don't have a website or even seem to be on sale online. I do have some other stuff from the brand, such as essential oils and I like those just fine so I thought nothing of buying this particular brand of Argan oil. 

It comes in my favorite type of packaging. Brown glass. And it has a dropper which makes using it pretty easy. Love the bottle but the label looks cheap and ugly. But I can deal with an ugly label if the product inside is great. 

But it's not. It just doesn't come close to results of that other argan oil and I found myself underwhelmed. It has a very light fresh scent to it, which makes me believe it's not 100% Argan oil. And the color is really light where the other oil is a deep golden color. 

It works in much the same way as Pumpkinseed oil. No breakouts, and doesn't leave my skin greasy at all. I can put it on and put makeup on a few minutes later. And I don't get greasy faced either by the end of the day. Which is pretty great considering the weather is really warming up.

I also use it in my hair. And it does a whole lot of nothing for my hair. No moisture, no softness. It's like using water. Maybe it works better if you don't need as much moisture as my hair seems to crave.

It would make a decent lightweight body oil. But there are cheaper oils that do the job just as well. In fact, I would recommend Sweet Almond Oil in place of this, because they do the exact same thing. In fact, it's so similar to Almond Oil I wouldn't be surprised if this actually wasn't Argan and was in fact Sweet Almond Oil.

Overall, I wouldn't buy this brand of Argan Oil again. But there are a couple more I am thinking of trying out just to compare and see if I can find something that gives me the effect the Moroccan one did.

Do you like Argan Oil? Have you tried Josie's overpriced oil? Let me know in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment