Thursday, May 18, 2017

Grandmother's Chinese Chicken Wings

Not my grandmothers. But someone's grandmothers.

I was extra hype for this recipe. It sounded like it would be amazing. And I don't eat wings often so this was like a special treat for me. I thought it was going to be amazing.

It wasn't.



I went and bought all these expensive ingredients, Mirin, Sake, etc and it was just a no. It also has soy sauce, brown sugar, oyster sauce (not my fave ingredient), ginger, star anise, hot chile,cinnamon, green onions, and sesame seeds- the ingredient I forgot since there is always one.


It just had way too much going on. I feel like I could taste the oyster sauce and it wasn't good. Plus the star anise. Star anise has to be the cutest spice ever. But it tastes like licorice. Licorice is nasty. It was way too salty and just not good. I even made it a second time and took some of the soy sauce out and replaced it with water, but I guess I just don't like the flavor. 

I did like the cooking method. Usually I eat baked wings. I have never had wings cooked on the stove top- and I think I'm going to try it with a different sauce one of these days. The wings came out saucy, sticky, and nicely cooked. They do seem to take awhile- but same thing with the baked wings.


So this recipe was a fail for me. But I'm glad I learned a new cooking method for wings.

I got the recipe fromFood Network. It's from that guy that eats all types of crazy things on that one show. I should have known his taste was not to be trusted. Him and all those raving reviewers. They were wrong.



You can check it out for yourself here, although I wouldn't recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment